Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at a car and want to know if i do all the work myself and got parts from a junkyard roughly how much $$$ would it cost to
1.replace the tranny
2. fix/ replace turbo wit seals going bad
3. small engin oil leak

on a side note does anyone know anything about cyrotreating (probably spelled wrong) the tranny case

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
hmm, well...

1. moderately hard, mostly just takes alot of time.

2. think you can get t3 rebuild kits quite cheap now, like around $80, should be pretty simple to do, and if you luck out you might just find a good turbo in the junkyard. these are real easy to replace.

3. hmm, define small, thats a bit of a vague term, but if its really small, you could just leave it, but if you have the motor out to do the tranny, wouldnt be hard to track down the oil leak, and seals are cheap.

as for the cryo treating ( i think thats how its spelled :lol: ) i know its a really good thing to do, but you cryo the internal parts, gears and bearings, not neccisarily the case (although i guess you could). If you try and get in contact with a guy named James Fox ( www.saabworks.com is his site, he's also on SC occasionally) he knows alot more, he did that with his old rally car and apparently it worked very very well.

Paul

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
turbokick said:
im looking at a car and want to know if i do all the work myself and got parts from a junkyard roughly how much $$$ would it cost to
1.replace the tranny
3. small engin oil leak
1.replace the tranny
Manual or Auto? Junk Yards have both usually in abundant......

e-bay you can get a NEW T3 for about $300 - or get an upgrade for about $200....(used)

3. small engin oil leak
Where?!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. it will be a manual tranny :twisted: (yeah!) and i right after i posted i thought i might as well upgrade the turbo. i think i would go with a tdo4 or a more moddern garret (what cars use new garret turbos, if sti have them they might not be hard to find) i have no idea about the size of the oil leak i will email the seller about that though. also if i take the trans appart anyone have any ideas on how to fit a LSD (maby from an old subrau or what ever else i could find) as to cyro treating there was a discusion on the saabnet preformance bb a while ago apperently cyro treating the case make it stronger ie. less prone to cracking or flexing. i will email james fox about it tho any idea on what kind of place would do it.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
used trans - $35
rebuild kit - $100-$400
(all depends how good it is to start with)

Look for a recently rebuilt transmission - pull that - take it appart and inspect. Anything that appears "weak" or not new - replace. This will ensure a GOOD box for the miles ahead (but take your time and buy the rebuild manual)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts