Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read up and heard alot if differnt numbers on jsut how much boost the turbo on a 01 aero puts out!.. can anyone give me a straight answer?
haha..
I would liek to know the max psi or bar on my car!.. i dont have a way to find out around here.. Thanks!

·
Registered
461 Posts
My saab mechanic told me stock my 2000 aero runs about 7-9 pounds of boost depending on if it is sport or not. The stock turbo itself can go up to 18 pounds of boost but you need a boost control for that and also if you are going to run 18 pounds of boost you would nheed to redo your timing and customize your manifold etc to accompany the extra horsepower or your engine will blow extremely easily.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah that does sound a little too low. My 9-5 light pressure turbo should kick out that PSI, but I'm not quite sure how much it does. :roll:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah I called him again. It appears I was wrong. My stock turbo pushes about 10 to 12 pounds of boost and has a maximum capacity of 18 pounds of boost.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really eh.. I was hopeing for some bigger numbers then those.. and u have the aero right.. Hm.. cause i was reading some car review..(i wish i can find the site again).. and it was sayin something liek a maximum boost of 30 psi.. and i was astonished! haha..
thanks for checkin tho!..
if anyone else heard different let me know also!

·
Registered
352 Posts
the turbo can handle the boost, it's a question of whether you motor can handle it....older saabs i believe up to 2002 have cast iron blocks as opposed to the new saabs which have an aluminum block ...the cast iron can handle up to 30 psi easy, the aluminum can handle much less than that probably less than 20...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay so with my car having a cast iron block... that being said.. how much factory boost is there?

·
Registered
352 Posts
first off my experience lies in 9-3's not 9-5's, that being said....my '99 9-3 is electronically limited to between 7-9 psi in both first and second gear
it can boost up to 14 psi in any other gear and as i understand, there's fuel cut @ somewhere around 15 psi....so, my guess is that saab didn't change the boost output on an 01 aero thus your boost numbers should be around the numbers mentioned above

btw, my car is stock

·
Registered
610 Posts
Keep in mind that Trionic sets an airmass target rather boost pressure (which is only among the means to reach this target), so your actual boost might vary depending on air temperature, altitude and other conditions.

If you still want numbers, my LPT in stock form used to boost 7-8 psi in secong gear, 9-10 in third. It could occasionally go up to 11 in a hot weather. With a stage 2 ECU upgrade I'm seeing boost up to 14 psi, but usually it settles around 11-12. It just gets there much sooner than before, hence the change in dynamics.

Also, the boost should not be any different in sport mode. All this button does is remapping the throttle, so you could reach WOT with a shorter pedal travel.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
dip said:
Also, the boost should not be any different in sport mode. All this button does is remapping the throttle, so you could reach WOT with a shorter pedal travel.
I don't know about that, when I am in sport and click it to "off" the boost noticeably drops (on the gauge) and the gears shift at different points. It lets you rev higher in each gear/shifts later, and also kicks down earlier than normal. my car behaves drastically different in sport mode, with a stage 1 ecu this has made the difference even more apparent.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I am saying, it is more than just remapping the throttle, I would think. Because my car pulls WAY WAY WAY HARDER in sport mode at partial throttle than in normal mode at full throttle. :shock:

·
Registered
461 Posts
There is a undeniable difference between sport mode and normal in my 2000 Aero. In sport mode the car uses more boost and shifts and higher rpms. Even if I am just rolling along at 25 mph with the sport mode on if I take it off I can instantly feel the engine power down. It feels like a small down shift. My saab mechanic also told me that in sport mode if you have a turbo it makes the car do about 15 psi instead of the normal 12-13. So yes the sport does do something besides turn a light on in your dash.

·
Registered
610 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
I don't know about that, when I am in sport and click it to "off" the boost noticeably drops (on the gauge) and the gears shift at different points
First off, do you have a separate boost gauge or was it a stock one near the fuel gauge? The stock needle is controlled by the ECU and does not directly represend the boost pressure. It just shows you what the ECU wants you to see ;). With a boost gauge measuring the actual pressure in the intake manifold you should not have any difference in maximum boost in sport and normal mode.

Here's a description from the WIS (written by an ESL person like myself, no doubt ;). Read the last paragraph carefully.
A spring loaded switch is located on the top of the gear selector lever and makes it possible to switch between the shifting programs NORMAL and SPORT. The switch has two connections, one to control module pin 7 and the other to grounding point G41S. The control module supplies B+ on pin 7. When the button is pressed in, the circuit closes to ground and a change of shifting programs is achieved.

SPORT can be activated in gear positions N, D, 3, 2, 1.

The NORMAL program is always engaged from starting.

Information on the current shifting program is send on the bus from TCM (used by MIU and Trionic) as SPORT, unit ON/OFF. When SPORT is selected, bus information SPORT ON is sent. In this position, Trionic increases the request air mass/combustion, i.e., the throttle valve angle changes to increase output at the same pedal position. The throttle angle does not change until the position of the accelerator pedal deviates from the position it was in when the SPORT button was depressed. This change adapts the shifting points to the performance. Shifting points for a light throttle opening and wide open throttle are identical for both programs, however.
In other words, if you floor it or just slightly tap the throttle, there should not be any difference between the sport or normal mode. In the middle, however, the sport is more agressive. But don't expect more power. It just saves you an inch of the right foot movement ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sport Mode

As you all know, I'm a newbie regarding Saabs. And since I don't have my owners manual I'm even more in the dark! Where is this magical Sport Mode button located!?!? :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
your saab should have 2 buttons on or near the shifter....one labeled W for winter mode which starts your saab in 3rd gear i believe to get better traction in crappy weather. the other button labeled S for sport mode allows for more aggressive shifting pattern as determined by both your past driving style and how trionic adapts to it

that is only if you're saab is an automatic....idk if they make manual 9-5's

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sweet! I was wondering what that S-button was for! I had found the winter button the other night but wasn't sure what that meant, that's a neat feature. Well i'm off to drive around in sport mode! Woo-hoo! :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
ed1le said:
Sweet! I was wondering what that S-button was for! I had found the winter button the other night but wasn't sure what that meant, that's a neat feature. Well i'm off to drive around in sport mode! Woo-hoo! :D
When you press "W" or "S", a "WINTER" or "SPORT" light should appear on the dashboard. And you can only select either of these modes when your shifter is in "Drive". Many 9-5 owners wish they could make the "Sport" turn on by default when you shift to "Drive", but unfortunately it's not possible in these cars, so you end up working out a habit of hitting the "S" button every time you move the gear selector ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts