Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading through the owners manual for the first time (heh..) and noticed that you can do this:

Insert the remote control into the ignition switch and turn it to ON.

Press the (trunk) button on the remote control. (you really have to hold it down, and you should do it with no other messages on the SID)

The SID will now display the number of remote controls that are programmed for your car, and which one of these (1-5) is in the ignition switch.

I have two keys, was using key #2, and own no valet keys. I thought the valet discussion was brought up earlier, but probably in a SID error message post. Going to email Phil .. err .. Saabusa to find out if I can get one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have to try that. Yeah the valet one came up in a previous post in another dimension :D Apparently another on of those promised but unsupported features :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I received this from Greg this morning. I guess Phil is out on holiday.

Dear Mr. Bodo,

Thank you for contacting the Saab Cars USA Customer Interaction Center.

We have forwarded your inquiry to another department. We will notify you when we receive a response.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,
Greg
Saab Customer Interaction Center

Comment: Hello,

I own a Model Year 2003 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan, and have a question
regarding the remote control.

On page 43 of the US Owners Manual, a reference is made to a "valet" key.

What does this key do, and if I'm interested, how do I obtain one?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's really scary, based on that email, I was able to figure out that they are using lotus notes and an EDS solution.

I have way too much time on my hands.

·
Registered
30 Posts
valet key????? i think i would like to put it on my wish list. would make it much less likely to have a situation like the one in NY state where the repair guy took a vette for a ride and destroyed it. I remember that from the saabcentral forums a while ago

·
Registered
3 Posts
jangler64 said:
valet key????? i think i would like to put it on my wish list. would make it much less likely to have a situation like the one in NY state where the repair guy took a vette for a ride and destroyed it. I remember that from the saabcentral forums a while ago
Since our keys are all electronic, it would be nice if it could recognize that you have a valet key in the ignition, and then puts the car in limp home mode - just enough power to park the car, which is all the valet SHOULD have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's odd about that particular story is I vividly recall vettes having a valet key, one that reduced the amount of power significantly.

Perhaps our valet key kills the turbo completely and adds 500lbs of Pb in the trunk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Or just park the car yourself, i don't trust valets anyway. One of my friend use to be one and they love bombin around in nice cars. i'll hold all the keys, thank you :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, park the car yourself if there are places available. If no parking spaces are available, your valet will be too busy keeping up with the influx of cars to take your pride & joy out for a ride.

Many times, such as in Los Angeles, you don't have a choice when it comes to parking. Well, I suppose if one wanted to park 5 blocks away and walk in their dress shoes & slacks, and really tick off their wife/date/whoever... :wink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wait, educate me. How would a valet key help in that situation? I though valet keys only are good for the door and ignition and do not work things like the glove compartment (not applicable for us), and the trunk.

·
Registered
30 Posts
JNGold said:
Wait, educate me. How would a valet key help in that situation? I though valet keys only are good for the door and ignition and do not work things like the glove compartment (not applicable for us), and the trunk.
With all the electronics the car has, I think it would be set in such a way to limit the amount of RPM's that can be produced, as well as limit the access to the trunk(lock out the trunk switch on the door panel as well as not allow opening the trunk with the remote) just my thoughts, I guess in my next life I should become a security consultant, lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
RPM's that can be produced
If they do that, then the valet can't whip around the lot (or corner) to get my car to me faster! :roll: :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Valet would be nice, but id mainly like it to keep them out of my trunk and stuff like that, my GTI had the valet key and the trunk pop was located in the center box which locked and couldnt be opened by the valet key. was pretty coo, if they wanted my stuff tho they could get it, also didnt limit them from bangin gears on the VR6 too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's what I got from the dealer:

Yes, you can purchase a valet key, this key will start the car unlock the
vehicle and lock it, however it will not unlock the trunk.

My response was:

Thats weird. How does it keep the valet guy from pushing the trunk button on the door (instead of the key..) I'll have to check it out sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts