Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Lol, I didn't realize there were a lot of c900 fires? I know older VW are a lot more prone to car fires specifically electrical fires.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've seen one of these on the back of a tow truck that had been burned to a crisp. It was a white c900 hatch. The same tow truck and driver later came to get my c900 which needed a new CPS and had died on Route 1 in Union ME. His comment was, well I towed one of these earlier that was in worse shape than this one. I had to laugh, a bitter sweet laugh. Sorry for the other person's loss, but happy I still had mine.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
:(

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Hang out with some VW guys.

I can thing of 4-5 that have gone up locally in the last...3 years?

One was during a carwash. That takes some burning POWER.

·
Registered
47 Posts
sounds like she fouled plugs and heated the cat till it got hot enough burst something into flames. i have a picture floating around somewhere of my Cat glowing bright red, more purple in the picture though

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Lol, I didn't realize there were a lot of c900 fires? I know older VW are a lot more prone to car fires specifically electrical fires.
Even the new ones sometimes go up. The 1998 New Beetles had that issue when they first came out. Bad, bad wiring.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My NG caught on fire last week on the interstate....had to call the fire dept to put it out :(
Apparently i blew a hole through the block.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
That may have been a CIS mechanical injection fueled fire, all the Euro cars from the '70's and '80's have stories of those lines coming loose or breaking and misting pressurized fuel into the engine bay.

The underside of the hood of my 99 is charred from a CIS fire, I can see where wiring was replaced, and had near new lines installed already.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The old 308 (Magnum PI)), Ferrari had a lot of fires as did the 60's Beetles. Problem with the Volks was that for some dumb reason there was never a clamp on the fuel filter. I think the hose clamp was a factory option for VW. :D

·
7,595 Posts
not "typical" to see this, however it could potentially happen with just about any 20+ year old car that has not had any work done on the fuel system ever. The return fuel line as well as the feed line could relatively easily scuff through or crack and if conditions were just right (or wrong rather), it would be able to catch fire. Like was already mentioned, CIS cars are probably about 10X as likely to have this happen because they have about 10X more fuel lines running around all over the engine bay :lol:

Also, electrical issues caused by 30 year old improperly wired car-phones, amps, stereos, fuse panel "additions" and people who thought they knew how electricity worked are always problematic at best with old cars.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Thats not a fucking sedan DENNIS.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I guess I'm just asking for trouble then:

·
Registered
369 Posts
It looks like the 900 in that video .. are those the new 9-5 wheels on it?

:eek:

If they are, that sucker had money to pee away and you may be right about wired mods.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts