Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Pull the boot first by removing the single screw on the trim plate of the console. Sometimes it's hidden under the bottom edge of the boot. To pull the boot off the trim plate, there is a spring-cord sewn into the boot which pull it tight when you slip it over the ridges, so you just need to pull on a corner, lift it above the ridge on the trim plate and just work it off, shouldn't be hard once you get it started. If you want to separate the boot from the knob, you have to clip or unwind a ziptie, you'll notice that when you pull the boot up. Then to remove the knob you just pull really hard. Some heat might come in handy to loosen the epoxy. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Then to remove the knob you just pull really hard. Some heat might come in handy to loosen the epoxy. Good luck!
Hmm - I was afraid that was going to be the only way... 25 year old epoxy is either going to be on there way too good, or pop off and hit me in the face. :D lol fun fun

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Wear a faceguard.... :-D

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Hmm - I was afraid that was going to be the only way... 25 year old epoxy is either going to be on there way too good, or pop off and hit me in the face. :D lol fun fun
yeah that's definitely the fun bit. The other option would be to buy a new knob, then you can just cut the old one off with a dremel. That's what I did for mine.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I've never had to cut off a shift knob, I typically just grip it firmly, wiggle, and pull up. Never, ever had an issue getting one removed. I probably have had a black eye or bruised hand from doing it though.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Uh...friction? Same thing that held it on in the first place.

Just to make sure I'm not on crack, I just went outside and pulled the knob off of the three 9000 shifters I have sitting around. They all pulled off. The shaft is splined and the knob friction fits on there. You can't be a sissygirl about it, just grip, and pull/wiggle it off.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uh...friction? Same thing that held it on in the first place.

Just to make sure I'm not on crack, I just went outside and pulled the knob off of the three 9000 shifters I have sitting around. They all pulled off. The shaft is splined and the knob friction fits on there. You can't be a sissygirl about it, just grip, and pull/wiggle it off.
Did it today for one pull and pop it was off. The boot was easy too. Not sure its going to fit the ng though. I put it on anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts