Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an amateur who is replacing the Poly-Vee Belt, and I replaced one Idler Pully, but I can't figure out how to loosen the tension on the Tensioner. I see a photo of it, and I think I realize how it works, but I can't find any diagrams online to show me how to loosen the tension. Obviously I need to know how to do this in order to get the new belt on etc.
If anyone can help, I would be much obliged!!! All the other pulleys seem to be great still, so I'm really hoping that someone can help me with the tensioner, so I get get her back on the road. I have the 1999 Saab 9-5 4 cylinder, with the long belt, etc.
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
put a half inch drive extension in the square hole and using it as a lever pull towards the fron of the car. There is a hole on the bottom you can use to put a small allen wrench through to hold the tensioner back after you pull it forward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what a "Drive Extension" is. What is that? Is it a specific tool I need? But I'll go look at it again, and try and figure out what you mean. Any more specifics would be helpful. Again I'm an amateur so you'll have to use layman's terms. Thanks though, I appreciate such a fast response!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
its a basic hand too used to put on a half inch ratchet. Normally it is used to extend the point of where you are putting your socket but in your case you will use it as a lever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay thanks. I'll go try it. I see that there is a little tab thing that hangs down. That's not what you meant, when you say use it as a level. You mean to actually stick something in that Square slot and pull hard towards the car's front end? Its awfully tough, its not moving at all when I tried pulling that with a screw driver. Just want to verify that this is what you mean? Is it supposed to have THAT MUCH tension? ha ha. Thanks everybody for your help.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
yes it will have a lot of tension....you have to pull really hard, it can be difficult

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, I got the tensioner pulled back, and got the belt all in place. its all fixed, and works great now! Cheers Mates!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
good job now your ready to change head light bulbs!;) im just kidding...those tensioners can be tricky if you have not dealt with one before:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts