Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have this:

it's stock and totally mint. i am bored with it. at this point i will either modify it or sell it. if i sell it, i'd most likely replace it with a miata or an e30. rwd, 50/50 weight distribution, steering feel that doesn't feel like a truck appeal to me. however, i still have my old spg and thus have a whole slew of performance parts to make my car fun with minimal money spent.

discuss.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am a moron. yes.

keeping the car a playing with it is the most likely outcome. if i sell it, it would be for a nice chunk of change.

·
7,595 Posts
Increase your enjoyment of the car, add SPG springs, stiffer shocks & more power. Driving a standard C-900 after having just driven a brand new "sports car" is going to make the 900 feel needlessly disappointing. Even when brand new, there were plenty of better performing cars out there... and that's not gotten better in the almost 20 years since they stopped making them, and OVER 40 years since the platform was engineered on drafting paper without the help of computers. But the package deal was why people still bought them, and they remain popular

Take it out on a back road you know well with someone whom is unfamiliar with that road, give them the "sports car" and take the 900 out in front. Bet you can still lose them ;)

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Listen. Here's a simple test: You gonna put that awesome dog of yours in a fancy sports car? No. Is she going to enjoy it as much? No.

Keep it, please. Or "give" it to me for safe-keeping until you come to your senses. I have a crisis every time I see the paint on that car. *mops brow, bites lip*

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I'll trade you my vintage for that :) You're a fool if you sell this one. I understood the 86' situation - but I would have never brought myself to do what you did with that car either. keep it and just buy something else (not a Miata). Shit - have you seen my fleet? I rarely slim down the heard....
1973 95 V4 Wagon
1986 9000 Turbo
1990 c900 Vert (for sale)
1993 Geo Metro
1995 9000 "CS"
1996 GMC Sonoma
2001 9-5 Wagon

They all are broken in one way or another and need work... why the hell would I sell one? lol They keep me busy and away from new cars :) Go buy a GMC Sonoma (s10) 2.2L RWD and tell me that c900 is boring... shit, my Geo can be fun - I ought to take you on a back roads drive in that car one day - I bet I could scare the shit out of you in that car. Death is around every corner when you drive a Geo....

Put the c900 in storage and buy a new 9-5 :)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Miatas are overall better-performing cars. So are E30s.

I've had a few Miatas. Still have my first. I've driven a few different E30s many times. More than half of the 30+ cars that I've owned in the past 10 years have been Saabs.

The question is this: Do you care more about all-out performance? If so, the C900 is not the car for you, whether some want to admit it or not. If you'd prefer to have a car that can perform very well with some work, but you can accept that it will not be the fastest or best-handling thing on the road, the C900 is a winning proposition in my eyes. I don't have to list the things that it does well. You're very familiar with them. You know the cars well, which is a huge advantage. They have a totally unmatched style.

Personally, I'd keep that C900 and modify the hell out of it with the parts that you already have. Fuck originality. Make it what you want. Save your pennies and buy a cheap Miata/E30/othernimbleandsomewhatreliableRWDcar if you want to get that fix as well.

Do what you want, but I've a feeling that you want to modify the C900 since you posted this here. You know we're going to be enablers.

-Tim

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Might i throw out the idea of an e36 ;) I was looking for an e30 originally but i found 9 out of 10 e30s were ridiculously over priced and the ones that weren't were pretty beat. I can't be happier with my e36, it's such a blast to drive so don't rule out a nice e36 coupe

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here are some more factors/thoughts:

-i have no more room for additional cars. if i get something new, something old has to go. end of story.
-kids are planned within 5 years. if i want to spend money on a sports car, i should probably do it now.
-i'm not looking for the fastest car out there. what i'm after isn't on paper. it's that "sports car feel". even a nicely modded c900 doesn't have it. it's balance. driving fast on a great road and not having to think about the car fighting you....might i add that i spent the past weekend in a 911 :)
-i have a hard time spending the money on some of the e30's i've seen. after years of buying and selling saabs, seeing pristene saab money being equivalent to beat bmw money is a bit hard to swallow.

so yea...

also, i just don't think an e36 is what i'm looking for. i'm sure they're great cars, but i just love the 80's charm and simplicity of the e30's. for me, the 80's was the peak of bmw styling. since then, i like the e46 and e39 and the rest are mostly just ho-hum. i like "pre-status symbol" bmw's.

....and i've heard that miatas and e30's both have bulletproof drivetrains....that sounds nice.

·
User
9,193 Posts
-i'm not looking for the fastest car out there. what i'm after isn't on paper. it's that "sports car feel". even a nicely modded c900 doesn't have it. it's balance. driving fast on a great road and not having to think about the car fighting you....

s
You just haven't driven the right c900. ;) Seriously, with the proper mods, they are unbelievably good in the corners. After driving Brian's old SPG, Gary Moore's old SPG (Brian's new one), and riding along in Jeff Proposki's SPG, I'm sure you would change your mind. It takes some money to get them there, but once they're there, they are wonderful handling cars with an extremely sporty feel. I'd feel comfortable driving any of those cars on the track without even thinking twice. Even in Brian's new SPG with shit tires, it's on rails and feels like it's glued to the road without any tire squeal. Brad's adjustable springs, koni's, and some poly bushings and you're on your way! :)

No, it's not going to drive like a RWD or AWD car, but it will certainly hold it's own against many of them.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My advice:

You've had your fun with the SPG and it's time to move on. We all love our cars, but will we all keep them forever? The answer, in most cases, is absolutely "no." Judging from what you wrote above, "i am bored with it. at this point i will either modify it or sell it," I'd say it's time to go in another direction. You mod the car, you risk its long term durability and collectability. If you keep the car and keep it stock, chances are you'll face the current dilemma again in the near future. Considering all of this, I say to sell it now. SPG prices are doing great right now and a "mint" tally red SPG should fetch some nice dollars (how much? that is for you to decide). Take that money and forget about the forgettable miata or e30 and buy a classic 911. Miatas and e30s will do nothing but depreciate more. 911's are timeless classics that are gems in the collector world. Buy a nice one now, keep it in nice shape, and you'll never lose much on it at all. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts