Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so over the past week i've noticed this shake at like 60-65......didn't think much of it...more reciently I"ve notice it become more common...then tonight I got curious and kicked it to 80....well shake got worse.

I want to hope its a mis-balanced wheel (just put snowtires on)....however this was not really instantly after the wheel swap....so I don't think its as easy as mis-balanced wheel.

I don't think it could be ball joints, I expect them to produce more of a up/down thing like wheel hop. Plus i do not have any normal ball joint noises.

Any suggestions would be great.

Ian

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hopefully you didn't use any of that fixaflat stuff..cause that will unbalance the wheels.., but it sounds like your on target with your speculation...your wheels need to be balanced....at the speeds you mentioned...its typical for that to be the case in my experience. I would check to see if any weights have fallen off.

regards

·
7,595 Posts
well a really bad shake that comes on and does not go away at higher speeds (an imbalanced tire will do this most of the time) I think that it could be a driveline component, probably the cars inner drivers. they tend to develop internal wear on the contact points, and while cruising it lets the drive shaft slide what ever way it weight more and this not being 100% perfect causes a rather large vibration that can come and go. it's sort of like a washing machine that's not loaded right when it's hutting the bump stops inside.

well anyway, that's my guess. if you are still on the original trans, and you are at 180+, this seems to be about when the ware becomes noticeable.

oh, and this typically comes on all of a sudden(maybe 2 months time), not gradually

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, read the bently.

It seems to be pointing towards the Control Arm Bushings. Not a fun job....esp in the cold. So if that is what it is then i'll have to pay someone for that job.

I have checked for play in the axle's, doesn't seem to be any in any axis.

Today I am going to do wheel swappage with my dad, i'm hoping that takes care of it. But because the shake is not always there i'm doubting its the wheels.

While i'm swapping wheels I am going to check the ball joints according to the bently. They aren't so bad to replace, maybe thats all it is.

I'll keep you posted.
Ian

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i just finished swapping front.....then rear wheels with the ones off my dads car......also installing the my fronts on his car.

Verdict: shake is still happening on my car and never happened to his car.

So the problem is not in the wheels or tires.

I tried checking the ball joints but they seemed ok....altough the test in the bently is not that great...unless I was doing it wrong? Didn't seem like it was something easily messed up though.

So I think it might be time to take it to the shop, see what they can come up with....but please tell me any other suggestions you have.

Ian

·
Registered
13 Posts
From past experence if you have a bad control arm bushing you will also get some noise. Check the wheel bearings, (all four) that could be the source of your shake. Have you checked for a loose tie rod end?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tweek's Turbos said:
Are you downshifting again? :lol:
LOL that must be it! :lol:

I just got back from sports car service. They said it was the inner driver, most likely the pass. side.

I didn't feel like dealing with the problem and my dad was offering to pay for it to get fixed w/my education fund (probably doesn't want to be in 40F temps helping me if i get mad LOL). So I just will have them do it this time.

Come spring i will probably be doing the one on my dads green 900T b/c it was showing these symptoms awhile back.....but his went problem just dissappeared :evil: .

Ian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts