Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pretty horrible accident, couldn't of hit in a worse angle

Took over a minute to get him out..... 2nd video shows their attempt to remove him

could be a repost, I haven't seen it

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 2nd vid shows a firetruck.... a OLD one that takes a while to get there

that fuel just didn't want to stop burning.......

yea, a similar situation & fortunantly only his car was banged up. I wonder how they made out with this past drivers school & if they will try another one it 2011?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
This has been around for a while:

http://jalopnik.com/5546461/race-car-driver-barely-survives-horrific-fiery-crash-worse-response

Interesting to read some of the accounts of what was going on there. The people who got him out were co-drivers and crew, who were pretty much unprotected from the fire. The safety personal who did have protective gear were simply doing a horrid job in their response. Glad someone stepped in and got that driver out of there.

The reminds me a lot of the Tetsuya Ota crash.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The only good thing that comes out of these situations is that safty equiptment usually make huge improvements for awhile after this. I remember about 20 years ago a famous sprint car driver got burned in his car. The seat belt latches wouldn't open and his steering wheel quick release melted. Since then both of these have been improved to the point of not thinking about it. Look back to when Dale Earnheart died, within monthes the Haans Device was invented and look how it has improved in the short time. Back in the early 60 fuel cells weren't heard of, untill Fireball Roberts burned to death, window nets again unheard of untill Joe Weatherly died after hitting head in a crash. It's too bad it takes this kind of stuff for things to get better

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea, I think it happend 5-6+ months ago......

true, tragedy brings improvements in safety at the track & also many times on the street.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.