Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well putting the correct wheel in the 79 did fix anything.

I did find a ring made of copper whith what looked like a male ended speaker plug on it around the steering wheel shaft. It didn't look like it was supposed to be there at all. The former owner had installed a later style wheel like you would see on a pre airbag 900 turbo.

When I install the 8amp stick fuse, the horn goes off constantly. Should I look for a relay that is stuck on, or are the 2 wires crossing?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Well putting the correct wheel in the 79 did fix anything.

I did find a ring made of copper whith what looked like a male ended speaker plug on it around the steering wheel shaft. It didn't look like it was supposed to be there at all. The former owner had installed a later style wheel like you would see on a pre airbag 900 turbo.

When I install the 8amp stick fuse, the horn goes off constantly. Should I look for a relay that is stuck on, or are the 2 wires crossing?
Sounds like "two wire's crossing" - could be the steering wheel horn contacts themselves. Check for ohms values :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It's been a while, but that copper ring really does belong there and there should be a connector on it. The back of the wheel should have a stud on a spring that makes contact with that ring at all times. I think that's the + supply and the horn button makes a ground when pushed. I can look at my 99 tomorrow to confirm that if you need

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I finally got on this. The metal slip ring, that seats inbetween the older wheels and the colum was the culprit. (And it's Plug).

When somebody in the past installed a newer 3 spoke non Airbag wheel, they completely messed up the ring. The tab that plugs into a common wire connector was bent flat and the whole ring was upside down.

A little experimenting and I was able to figure out the positioning of the ring, and that the plug itself needed to be turned 180 degrees as it was grounding itself out on the colum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.