Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many are you guys running the car without the under hood insulation. . i had mine off my 00 SE for 3 years before i sold it and loved how i could hear everything much clearer.
I never noticed anything happen to the paint or clearcoat from the 2.0 motor but with my LB Viggen and the bigger 2.3 should i be worried ab heat transfer to the hood and ruining my original finish?

I dont think the 2.3 runs much hotter than the 2.0. . or does it?

I just removed it from the viggen and have been a little curious ab it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I run no insulation on my NG900 2.0. I don't know nor think it is related but, my hood paint is very soft, and the clear coat is peeling bad now on the driver's side. I believe it is unrelated because if it were related to the engine heat, then it would be over the engine, not over the coolant tank on the driver's side.

You get a way cooler sound without insulation, so keep it off.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I noticed that without the insulation whatever snow is on my hood starts melting and I get water spray on the windshield. Annoying.

With the insulation on the snow stays frozen and I get nothing but snow flakes that fly off. I am leaving my insulation on for the winter.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I noticed that without the insulation whatever snow is on my hood starts melting and I get water spray on the windshield. Annoying.

With the insulation on the snow stays frozen and I get nothing but snow flakes that fly off. I am leaving my insulation on for the winter.
Well you should clean your car off before driving away :), it is the law afterall *

Um, I don't drive mine during winter so not an issue I guess.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Our snow here in Fairbanks is really powdery, not too sticky at all, it's like sugar. I usually clean my windows, taillights and headlights and drive away. By the time I get to the end of my street (less than 1/4 mile) most of its has rolled off the car. But even after brushing the snow off there is always that 1/4" to 1/2" layer that sticks to the car, that layer melts without the hood insulation. Without it it doesn't, and I prefer it that way.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
soo the paint should be ok without the insulation ?. . i deffinitely prefer to have it off.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
soo the paint should be ok without the insulation ?. . i deffinitely prefer to have it off.
Like I said, I have clear coat peeling on the driver's side by the windshield. Not at all related to engine location, therefore I believe not related to heat from engine, but related directly to the sun.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Well you should clean your car off before driving away :), it is the law after all *

Um, I don't drive mine during winter so not an issue I guess.
Don't use a snow shovel with metal blade like my dad did to my one Saturn...
Snow Brooms are awesome however - I have one from my dealership days, they seem to be better on the car then a brush brissel...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Viggen wont see winter this year. . or atleast snow and salt. . the 9000 will have to see one of its first though :/

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't have a 2.3l but my 2.0l has a T28 turbo running tons of boost and I have had no issues in the three years since I removed mine.

BTW, I live in Florida so the car routinely sees triple digit ambient temps to compound any potential issues.

D-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts