Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not like these are fast or anything, but on the way to work I saw in my rearview some teenage ricer punk approaching in a Del Sol that was all blacked out, black rims, black paint, black windows, blacked out lights... with a big ricey body kit, and he was on my bumper hard. So then the lanes split to two, and I let him pass (up a steep hill) and I noticed his exhaust and a buttload of guages all up and down his A-pillar. So I gave him about a car length and then just dropped the hammer (Note I am on studded snow tires and stock ECU) and I blew past him so hard it was funny. He could not even keep up, he just faded away quick.

Also had some fun last night toying with some clown in a Mitsu Eclipse with a big wing, huge fart can and a buttload of blue glowing guages and BOV. not really an official race, too much traffic, but I pissed him off pretty good by showing him my taillights a few times and he could not catch up. :lol:

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I love the Honda guys that put on $1000 body kits and $500 bucks in guages to tell them them the coolant temp and volts on the car but fail to actually put anything in to make the car faster!! Nice kill there!!

It's even funnier to dust off an Eclipse though since Fast and the Furious came out ever idiot in the world bought one (and payed too much for it). The eclipse can be a super quick car with enough time and effort but most of these idiots still don't know how to drive them!! Good kill there too!!

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I appreciate the DSM's its just the drivers I usually dont like. I just like to laugh when the guy with a GS Eclipse that has a body kit and a N/A 2.0 Litre thinks he has a fast car. When I still had my turbo Saturn I got my ass handed to me by a few Gen 1 DSM's and a few VR-4 Galants too. I have a good respect for all cars and the potential they have but Ijust find it amusing that after Fast and the Furious came out the 96-99 Eclipse's jumped on average $3K in price where before the movie they were cheap to buy.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i saw a del sol drive by me and on the rear it said honda si turbo IT WAS SO LOUD! and toney! and the bov wow!! it sounded scary! but thats 1 in a million

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
xaamottomaax said:
Abd what is all this stock ECU talk? Is this just something to keep you alive in the snow?
i think he just put it back for winter... u dont need speed when driving to work on studs and snow

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xaamottomaax said:
Abd what is all this stock ECU talk? Is this just something to keep you alive in the snow?
yes, just for winter. That is partly why I kept the stock unit and gave up my core fee... besides, the car runs really quick on stock S/W in the cold anyways. I am on studded snows, and i want them to last (expensive tires!). the rubber is so soft on those Nokian's that the Maptun box would smoke them in a matter of weeks. :lol:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
studded tires are best on packed snow, packed snow that freezes solid, and pure ice. the special soft rubber compound made for cold weather and ice grip does the rest. some people think they do not need snow tires and drive around in bald all season or summer tires because they have AWD. that will help you get going from a stop, but AWD does not help stop your car on an ice patch or that super slippery hard-packed snow. :lol: studs bite right in, both starting and stopping.

I love my Nokians.

Last winter I went out to play in a bad snow/ice storm and I kept passing big 4WD heavy ass tank SUV's who had pulled over because the roads were to bad for them. :lol: the only downside to studs (besides the fact they are not as kind to roadways) is a bit more noise and on dry pavement you have a little less traction and you can't corner fast, the cars rides on the studs a little bit... and cheap-o studded tyres tend to lose studs too quick. If you only see mild snow and not much packed snow and ice a good all season or a studless snow is fine. just beware that some "snows" like Blizzak only use snow tires compound on the outermost layer and after a few thousand miles you are riding on a regular all-season. Nokian and other higher end snows are snow tyre compund all the way through.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
One of my friends in Iowa was using snow tires w/o studs. Personally I think they grip equally as well as studded. His tires were so soft that you could move the tread with your finger.

In many states studded tires are illegal because of blowout hazards. Kansas/Missouri banned them because there was a blowout, and the studs blew threw the window of a surrounding car, and killed the driver. Sounds far fetched, but I can see how it cold happen. Not to mention they fuck up dry roads.

Another good thing that works and I've tried is when I bought some tires from Tires Plus, I had them make cuts in the tread so they grip better in the snow as well.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blaque_Out said:
One of my friends in Iowa was using snow tires w/o studs. Personally I think they grip equally as well as studded. His tires were so soft that you could move the tread with your finger.
The really good super butter soft non studded are excellent! but those are more snow tires, as in the fluffy fresh snow, and slush. Studs are better grip on the hard packed stuff and ice. Actually, now that i think about it, I think my tires would classify more as ice tires than snows.

I realize they are not so kind on the roads, but if you saw the shape they keep my roads around here, you would not be worried, you'd run giant 12 inch spikes on your tires. :lol: they have a segment on the local news that runs about December through May called "pothole patrol" where they go around and measure and film the potholes and it is like a game which town/city has the biggest most outrageous potholes and how long they can go without fixing them. :shock: :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
All I can say is thank goodness for California freeways and roads (for the most part). The worst I have to deal with is some rain or a trip to the mountains which like I said is just ike driving anywhere else down here. I remeber when I lived in texas is comedy to see people drive on snow and ice there having hardly driven on it ever.

Abdukted have you ever tried leaving in your modded ECU to see how much more fun the snow could be??? :D

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stevehayes01 said:
Abdukted have you ever tried leaving in your modded ECU to see how much more fun the snow could be??? :D
no way. I thought of it. BUT....

even on just a wet summer day the tires would spin so hard and break traction under say 40 MPH or so, that I got almost a hydroplaning effect and my car would lift off the road and be flying all over the place. no need for that on ice, thank you. :lol: in the spring maybe a switch from Pirelli to Potenza Pole Positions? tha super sticky icky.

·
Registered
584 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
stevehayes01 said:
no way. I thought of it. BUT....

even on just a wet summer day the tires would spin so hard and break traction under say 40 MPH or so, that I got almost a hydroplaning effect and my car would lift off the road and be flying all over the place. no need for that on ice, thank you. :lol: in the spring maybe a switch from Pirelli to Potenza Pole Positions? tha super sticky icky.
You don't need to switch to different ECU software, you need to switch to a vehicle with AWD. :lol: j/k of course. But I do enjoy my A4's extra kick year-round. ;)

Seriously though, no need to blow cash on Pole Positions. Check out something like Kumho Ecsta MX. About $30 less per tire and, IMHO, a superior product.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
driver found said:
Seriously though, no need to blow cash on Pole Positions. Check out something like Kumho Ecsta MX. About $30 less per tire and, IMHO, a superior product.
actually they are even cheaper, tire rack has them for like 109 a pop on special.

That would save me over 200, enough to buy a set of springs, so maybe i will try those. Why do you think they are superior, if i may ask, and have you used both tires to compare? I just want to have the best tires, they are a very important link in the chain, in my opinion. so gimme the lowdown on the ecsta MX....

·
Registered
584 Posts
I haven't had both tires on the same car, but have owned both - so I think I can be a fair judge.

I think the MX's superior in a few ways - tread life, which is just an extension of their already economical advantage over the Poles. I put almost 10 thousand miles on MX's on my A4 - including a few days of hot track laps - without a huge amount of wear. I'd guess that they had 60% of tread remaining, which is wonderful for something so sticky.

Response and feel are where they really excel, in my book at least. They're not the *most* grippy tire out there - and probably a hair less overall grip than the Pole's - but you can tell exactly what's going on with them. The slip angle is such that it's controllable - when you finally do begin to loose grip with them, it's not a sudden and complete loss as is common with many high performance tires. It's a gentle transition that allows you time to control the vehicle.

If I had to pick a single tire for both track time and spirited street driving, it would definitely be the MX.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts