Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before I make any rash decisions, would it be completely stupid of me to install a Holset on my 9000 without an upgraded clutch and a 220,000 mile stock transmission? Can I dummy-down the power by just using my t5-suite stage 3 tune for now to save my clutch/transmission until I can upgrade next summer? Or does the Holset really need its own tune. Good news is I don't drive the car all that much except for weekend grocery runs and visiting the family and such, and when I do I'm not a very aggressive driver (usually). Do you think I'd be able to get through the winter?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
If you have an external wastegate to keep the boost very low then maybe you could get away with it. The only way I would even try would be with the use of a wideband to make sure that at WOT it doesn't lean out at all.

But why would you want to do this anyway? You will have a car that is less streetable in the low RPM range without the top end power that you get a big turbo for. You'd be better off keeping your stock turbo until you have the money to put the rest of the package together (e.g. $200-300 for injectors, $600-700 for a clutch, $150-250 for a fuel pump, a few hundred for the custom downpipe, and $100 or so for the custom oil feed and drain lines...not to mention whatever you feel like spending on tuning)

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Oh yeah, duh :lol:

I never really looked at what as was included. So, with all that, keep the boost low and give it a shot. You give it the beans at all and you'll have a slipping and or glazed clutch in no time.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Mine setup was reliable, and got great gas mileage when not driving like a crazy person, although I took it off the road to repair rusty rear shock mounts and it was totaled before the repair was complete.

The only issues that I ever encountered were a few times I blew off a turbo hose under loads of boost. I had to replace the original head gasket and head bolts shortly after the conversion due to cooling system pressurization...but that was likely preexisting and was aggravated when I did track days and such. Other than that, it always started right up, was easy to drive around town.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine setup was reliable, and got great gas mileage when not driving like a crazy person, although I took it off the road to repair rusty rear shock mounts and it was totaled before the repair was complete.

The only issues that I ever encountered were a few times I blew off a turbo hose under loads of boost. I had to replace the original head gasket and head bolts shortly after the conversion due to cooling system pressurization...but that was likely preexisting and was aggravated when I did track days and such. Other than that, it always started right up, was easy to drive around town.
hmmm...would you be able to point me in the right direction for the tune you used? or perhaps still have the ecu you may be willing to sell? I assume it was a custom t5suite one?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
My ECU was the result of about 6 revisions to a base tune that was from a stage 4 setup (scaled to the larger injectors, and then adjusted to be overly rich with fuel under boost, as I had no idea where I had to be with the fueling). I tuned it down and up, bit by bit throughout the map. Unfortunately, the computer that has that tune on it went kaput, and I have no yet recovered the data. I also am not quite willing to get rid of any part of my setup, including the ECU at this time.

Plus, I'm no pro, you'd probably be better of getting one from someone with a solid reputation. Even though I was comfortable doing that stuff on my car, I've decided I'm not comfortable doing it for others, either for free or for money. Anything happens where something isn't quite right with the car, and who do they blame? Yeah, me...all because I was nice enough to load a tune onto their ECU for next to nothing. Sucks, but I don't have time for that.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My ECU was the result of about 6 revisions to a base tune that was from a stage 4 setup (scaled to the larger injectors, and then adjusted to be overly rich with fuel under boost, as I had no idea where I had to be with the fueling). I tuned it down and up, bit by bit throughout the map. Unfortunately, the computer that has that tune on it went kaput, and I have no yet recovered the data. I also am not quite willing to get rid of any part of my setup, including the ECU at this time.

Plus, I'm no pro, you'd probably be better of getting one from someone with a solid reputation. Even though I was comfortable doing that stuff on my car, I've decided I'm not comfortable doing it for others, either for free or for money. Anything happens where something isn't quite right with the car, and who do they blame? Yeah, me...all because I was nice enough to load a tune onto their ECU for next to nothing. Sucks, but I don't have time for that.
No worries man, I completely understand. I need to get myself a crappy netbook with a parallel port so I can finally start trying to figure things out for myself. Time to start reading up on ecuproject!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
well i can say that my car has been perfectly reliable as a DAILY driver if you drive it as such it will be fine.... i am in NO way trying to miss lead you into thinking that if you beat the hell out of it and run it hard it wont brake stuff

there are kids out there that dont know how to treat a car with any sort of respect and then expect it to hold up to it

the most likely thing to break with this setup is the transmission..

i had my BPC fail on me at WOT once and i spiked (this is a quess) 45psi+ with the holset and bent a con rod...

i have lost 1 transmission which had already seen plenty of drag strip luanchs/ wheel hop with my old td04 stage 4 setup (which i believe is far worse for your car due to the massive torque spike) i now have a 300k tranny in my car that has been down the 1/4 mile about 16 times and is still shifting flawlessly and i have put about 10k of daily driving on it (my daily driving does involve showing of now and again)

green9kaero had absolutly no luck with the holset setup on his car because of a hack job wiring harness he did with his car causing no boost control and he kept pooping out headgaskets and then he just gave up on it and set me up with the setup

so to sum this up, if you drive it like its built for you will loose transmissions on a fairly regular basis

if you have it to have fun once in a while and show up the occasional ricer boy it will be perfectly reliable

i would recommend doing the external waste gate

and untill you get a new and better clutch made for the power i would just take it easy on it

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i can say that my car has been perfectly reliable as a DAILY driver if you drive it as such it will be fine.... i am in NO way trying to miss lead you into thinking that if you beat the hell out of it and run it hard it wont brake stuff

there are kids out there that dont know how to treat a car with any sort of respect and then expect it to hold up to it

the most likely thing to break with this setup is the transmission..

i had my BPC fail on me at WOT once and i spiked (this is a quess) 45psi+ with the holset and bent a con rod...

i have lost 1 transmission which had already seen plenty of drag strip luanchs/ wheel hop with my old td04 stage 4 setup (which i believe is far worse for your car due to the massive torque spike) i now have a 300k tranny in my car that has been down the 1/4 mile about 16 times and is still shifting flawlessly and i have put about 10k of daily driving on it (my daily driving does involve showing of now and again)

green9kaero had absolutly no luck with the holset setup on his car because of a hack job wiring harness he did with his car causing no boost control and he kept pooping out headgaskets and then he just gave up on it and set me up with the setup

so to sum this up, if you drive it like its built for you will loose transmissions on a fairly regular basis

if you have it to have fun once in a while and show up the occasional ricer boy it will be perfectly reliable

i would recommend doing the external waste gate

and untill you get a new and better clutch made for the power i would just take it easy on it
Fair enough, sounds great to me. I am a very careful driver, and I rarely if ever thrash my car as it is, I would just like to have more there if/when I need it. I'm thinking it'll be just fine for the amount/type of driving I get to do while I'm in school, and come summer I'll be able to bring the whole car up to par. Now we just need to work out the details!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
thank you green9kaero for proving that even a hack job can last a long time in DD form
the point i made was your hack harness was not complete OR setup well enough to be running the holset setup... there fore you giving your very limited insight on this matter has not shown or proven anything.

your car was a piss poor example of whether or not a saab can be drivin with a holset DD or not
i hacked my latest engine and trans into my car as i was getting sick of it and it went 8k and to the track 5 times with no issues... so again thanks man your awsome

Let's not do this again jp. It's a loosing battle for you.

Read my last post it says how many miles

P.S. jp get over it already... sombody somewhere will let you be there best man............one day

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I've decided I'm not comfortable doing it for others, either for free or for money. Anything happens where something isn't quite right with the car, and who do they blame? Yeah, me...all because I was nice enough to load a tune onto their ECU for next to nothing. Sucks, but I don't have time for that.
smart man

1 - 12 of 12 Posts