Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We embark on our 1100 mile drive in the morning.

Getting on 90 in Ludlow MA and take it all the way to Chicago. Stopping in Michigan for the night before then though.

If you see a really dirty 9-3 with white vikings on 90 tomorrow, give me a wave.

Anyone else have stupid long holiday drives?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I was going to drive to Alabama from New Jersey but I-81 through Virginia makes me want to drown kittens. I'm training it down there and flying back. Gonna read me some "To Kill A Mockingbird" on the way down.

Good luck with your drive. The thruway and I used to be tight back in my Vermont era.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That stupid train (amtrak) is stupid expensive.

Also we since we will be gone 12 days taking the dog with is much more cost effective over sending him to a kennel.

Have fun. I really wan to take the train home sometime.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I was going to drive to Alabama from New Jersey but I-81 through Virginia makes me want to drown kittens. I'm training it down there and flying back. Gonna read me some "To Kill A Mockingbird" on the way down.

Good luck with your drive. The thruway and I used to be tight back in my Vermont era.
I-81 can be a killljoy if there is an accident or you get pulled over by Va.'s finest.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'll see your I-81 and raise you an I-75/I-71 split in downtown Cincinnati on Thursday evening.

Seriously, I'm not going anywhere. People are coming to my house. One of the benefits of being married with children.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just looking at the G-map while waiting for wife to finish getting ready.

Any one an opinion on 90 vs 86 vs 80 on this sort of trip.

Google says 90 and 80 are a 6 minute difference and 86 is +15 minutes

·
Registered
709 Posts
I second the whole lake effect snow thing; potentially it could be a headache...

Part of your route I am familiar with though-
We take the 84 stretch from Danbury CT to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on the way to Hazleton. I'll actually be doing this Friday morning. Not a bad drive at all, though traffic can back up near the Danbury exits around holidays and rush hour pretty bad. It's worse driving west to east through there, but it all depends. The bridge is usually OK too. The rest of that stretch at least, is cake. I've only been farther west than that when I was younger and not driving, so I don't recall much.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
X3.

Plus I wouldn't want to be that close to Canada going 90.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Not a long drive but I have work tonight till about midnight and then have a 6am flight to New Orleans. That means getting to the airport 4:30ish. Debating even going home between.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Eep, it's probably too late for you to see this for the trip out, but there are VERY LARGE SIGNS on the western half of I-80 through the Pennsylvania wilds that basically say, "If the snow shit hits the fan, we don't plow." Not can't plow or will get there when we can, won't plow. There's very little out that way so they give the road up for dead.

One of the benefits of that route, however, is it is much less heavily policed than any other road I've ben on in New York State. Be careful at the Ohio border, though. They like to catch ya on entry and exit from Ohio and there's that new bullshit in that state where they can pull you over because it looks like you were going fast.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Pennsylvania feels like it takes a lot longer than the NY route. I've gone both routes many times. PA has nicer scenery...

I suppose that doesn't help much now. Hope the trip goes smoothly!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The OHP does have a reputation for being hard asses. Most of them will give you 5 to 7 over. Ohioans still flash their lights to warn of cops, so pay attention and return the favor. The northern part of Ohio is pretty flat so most of the time you can see them.

If you're using a GPS and it keeps track of miles driven and max speed, etc, reset it when you enter Ohio. That way if a cop says it "looked" like you were speeding you can show him what your max speed has been. As long as it's not to far above the posted limit you might have a defense.

·
10,303 Posts
If you are still on 90 by Friday let me know. Also, if you have a passport going thru Canada to MI is the way to go.

I will be following a 4cyl Santa Fe thru PA so I'm sure it will take me forever to get back to 'Cuse.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Meh, the Canadian route is OK. I tried it a few times back in the Vermont days as a way to get to Chicago. If there were no border crossings, it would be a lot better. No matter what great time yo've made, a holdup at the borders can erase all that and add hours to your trip.

Otherwise, if you stick to back roads in Ontario, you pass through some real neat tobacco growing country. The drying huts are everywhere. On the highways, you see a ton of brand-new school bus bodies and other trucks full off new cars fresh from the factory.

·
Registered
369 Posts
One thing to consider, skipping the full CT leg through Hartford and Danburry. Any signs of traffic or work and it's at crawl.

My son did school in ME so I did lots of 1000 mile up & backs and one of the things that really hit me was just avoiding the mess totally. Sure it cost a few miles and perhaps 15 minutes to run the Mass Pike to Albany and then south to 87 or 84 home, but it was so relaxing a ride. 84 was zoom, spurt and zip then hard breaking and then sit.

Any time I knew it would be holiday or weekend "march from or to the dacha", or commuter time, the Mass Pike served me well, just in relaxation factor alone.

It looks like you could work it in and save time.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
What are you going to be doing in Chicago?
We embark on our 1100 mile drive in the morning.

Getting on 90 in Ludlow MA and take it all the way to Chicago. Stopping in Michigan for the night before then though.

If you see a really dirty 9-3 with white vikings on 90 tomorrow, give me a wave.

Anyone else have stupid long holiday drives?

·
10,303 Posts
If there were no border crossings, it would be a lot better. No matter what great time yo've made, a holdup at the borders can erase all that and add hours to your trip.
Agreed, they WILL lock you up if you cannot prove why you have a minor that is not related to you in the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts