Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 4 bird strikes this year. First, chopped off most of the head of the bird and lodged it in between the headlight and the grill in my 99 9-5. Hit that one doing about 80, A saw a puff of feathers flying around in my rear view mirror. Next one, I found in the "mouth" of the STI. No damage, just a dead bird laying on the plastic, never saw the impact. The 3rd one I hit in the DeLorean doing about 70 on a back road. No damage, and the bird didn't "stick" just a large poof of feathers.

This one did damage, and the bird "stuck" Joe (the cat) found the kill delicious, but I probably need a new grill for the STI. This impact happened at 120+ MPH, All I saw was the bird vanish into the front end of the car - apparently smooshing my grill.

Pics-

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
tasty.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Last time I hit a bird it destroyed the windshield of my Forester. It was a huge owl and scared the crap out of me. Once a dumb pelican hit my Fort Ranger while I was stopped at a light.

Birds are dumb. (rare exceptions)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
last time i hit a bird its legs got stuck between my grill and the hood, kinda in a prancing position like a hood ornament, i bounced a pigeon or something off my windshield at about 40mph, all the junk in its feathers (read dirt) left a powdery residue on my windshield, it appeared to have survived as it was flying still, the little yellow hood ornament, not so much. glad it wasn't worse, 120 is srsbsns

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My brother nailed a duck with the bumper of my 9-5 at 50. Not a scuff on the car. :saab The same can't be said for the duck though....

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Back in 1990 I was late for work and driving faster than I should have been through some patchy early morning river fog when a turkey vulture came out of nowhere while feasting on some road kill. He hit hit the top of the windshield, cracking it and left a nice dent in the roof.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I've done this exact thing with my first car - 1988 VW Fox - grill didn't break however and I was doing under 60mph in a 45 zone. I watched it come in - thud - trail of feathers behind me and when I got out to inspect - bird in grill. lol

Nice work on feeding Joe anyways. That cat seems to eat anything living or dead.

Post how much the grill ends up costing or if you decide it's easier to just "fix" what you got.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Don't drive like an asshat. 120 on public roads is dumb.
Highways - he does that. Residential i'm sure he goes easy and does not top 80 too often. Also 120 is not full speed for that car - just a nice steady cruise.

Do not try to "slow" DeLorean down - he will not listen or care. This is why he bought the STi - that and the CTS-V Wagon was not anywhere near the same price bracket. Plus he supports ALL local and state police on a regular basis - so he pays for his privlages in the end.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
pfft....whatever. Want to cruise at 80, maybe 90, knock yourself out. 120 and higher is just dumb. At those speeds, there just isn't enough reaction time to avoid something that jumps out in front of you.

Tweety bird @ 120 = a few ha-ha's.

Bullwinkle @ 120 = Funeral

Hope it doesn't happen to you.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
pfft....whatever. Want to cruise at 80, maybe 90, knock yourself out. 120 and higher is just dumb. At those speeds, there just isn't enough reaction time to avoid something that jumps out in front of you.

Tweety bird @ 120 = a few ha-ha's.

Bullwinkle @ 120 = Funeral

Hope it doesn't happen to you.
You can hit a bullwinkle at 50mph and get killed just as well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can hit a bullwinkle at 50mph and get killed just as well.
That wasn't the point of his comment.

The average reaction time to an unexpected event on the road is 1 second (give or take). At 60 mph when Bullwinkle walks out in front of you, it takes 60 feet to figure out what you're gonna do. Hopefully you choose life and let the ABS do it's job. The moose ain't moving, so you better come to a complete stop. That'll take you another 170ft.

Change the speed to 120mph, and it will take you more than 2.5 football fields to accomplish the same goal.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Your best chance with a moose is to sideswipe the bastard, pull the handbrake at the last moment. You're better off going into the woods or into a ditch and destroy your car than hitting a 1000 pound animal on tall spindly legs.

moose hit - Google Search

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Moose aren't a huge concern in Pennsylvania. Supposedly, some parts of the state have elk but we couldn't find any when we tried last summer.

Deer, however, are another story. They're everywhere. I drive about 120 miles every week along I-78 and local roads in the state and see just about every type of hit on deer. One even meandered across my path Monday morning at 4:15 just cruising from one field to another.

Moose? You drive under them and then lose your head. Deer? Those suckers can come straight through the windshield at you.

I do agree that driving at 120 is not recommended. Up around 90, it starts being a lot less fun and a lot more work to gauge what everyone else on the open road around you could do if their brains shut off and they started driving worse than they already are. My high speed, early Monday runs from home to work in Jersey City usually involve me watching for truckers pulling into the left lane for whatever reason. And deer.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts