Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just happened a few hours ago. Parked for 10 min in a lot at THE BACK only to return to find this:

No Notes, Not Witnesses. Al-tho I think it was a red pickup truck parked one row in front of me. Any who, I know this will buff right out but.... what do you guys think the insurance or a body shop will want to do with the hood and fender? I know I want a new hood and fender as I don't think it will ever be the same if they try to 'buff it out'.

(I have not even opened the hood as the fender has overlapped it at the corner. I hope the rad support is ok)

Urge to kill rising!!!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It's probably cheaper to replace the hood and fender and repaint them, rather than try to straighten that mess out. Corner dings like that don't clean up well. I hope whoever did that either was spotted and has to pay, or something nasty happens to their vehicle. That sucks man, sorry to hear about the damage.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Make sure you file a police report. If you want to catch the guy, I'd be looking in that same location for a vehicle with gray paint on the bumper. Heck I' be looking all over town! I hate hit and runs. It's happened to me 3 times.

It doesn't get any easier to handle, but I park very carefully so no idiot backs up three car length across a parking lot. I'm always parked as isolated as I can be.

Sucks though

Everything is an easy do it yourself fix with unbend parts. (except for the paint.) How's the bumper cover look up close?

Whatever you do, make sure they finish painting with the stuff on the car to blend it in. If they paint it separately, it never matches...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked to a mall security guard and he says there is a red truck that parks in that corner spot 2 twice a week or so. I'll keep an eye on it as I can drive by it on the way home from work. He took my contact info and will keep watch too.

I filled a police report like 1hr after it was hit.

Gona try and use the body shop Mercedes Benz uses in town. At least a new hood will look better then the 10 year old one with chips.

I will probably have to get new lens and corner on the passenger side as they will not match the new ones.... Arghhhh.... This will be slow and pain full process.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Sucks butt.

I'm certain replacement would be cheaper than the labor to fix those panels.

People who hit and run are scum.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Sucks man. Sorry to see this.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That bites! I had the same thing happen to me in a mall parking lot when I first got my pickup. Put a nice crease in my rear quarter--truck was only like 2 months old at the time. I know how you feel about doing it right. I'd feel the same if one of my nicer rigs got hit. Fortunately the mall guys seem to be cooperative. I couldn't get the time of day when my truck got hit.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ass wipes can't stand seeing some nice iron. I had my 96 Toyota T-100 all black and shiny the day I got it and went to a Home Despot real, real early and parked in the way, way back.

Some trailer trash musta seen that ans said "whooo wheee Darryl, lookee that all purty and shiny.

They left a nice dent dead center of the chrome bumper.

In the old days, had I seen that I would have rearranged all of their significant body and trim panels at no charge. :rolleyes:

Better to pop on a used hood and do a simple spray. So much stuff shows through or will pop through a few years from now. Cost is usually about $250 a panel.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
That blows!Sorry to hear that...Keep an eye out for that pickup and take action! Those types of peeps should be stoned!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have to deal with this BS when you could be enjoying the holiday. Hope you nail the S.O.B.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Does suck.

A utility truck backed into my moms 95 today.

Opened up a nice 8 in long tear+dent in the rear passenger side door. Really sucks.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
That is brutal. So sorry to see to such a nice ride.

I hate to be a wet blanket - but don't retaliate until you are dead sure. I was just in a situation where I was near a hit and run site and i was driving a big truck and trailer and the girl who's car got hit was standing there giving me a look like: "You did this, you asshole" - but I was in no way involved. Just be sure so you dont drag down the innocent.

Hopefully insurance covers the whole situation and you come out on top.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sucks man, I know how awful a feeling it is. This happened just before thanksgiving in 2008, and was about $5k worth of damage, though it was much worse than yours. I'd bet something around $1500-2k for your repairs.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ Ouch.

If all goes well it will look good and a $500 actually well spent. Would be nice to have new paint on the front anyway. I'm glad it was just all panels and lights that can be unbolted and completely replaced.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yea, just look at it as $500 to get rid of all your rock chips etc. No structural damage, no real damage to the vig. bumper, no worries.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
As much as that sucks it can be a blessing in disguise. My friend's wrx got hit, and he ended up throwing some cash in on top of the insurance money and the car looks brand new. Needless to say he was pleased. I hope you catch the ass who did it. btw Steel Grey vigs kick ass

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. Trying to stay positive. I will open up the hood tonight and try and source some used light locally so I can drive it. Who knows how long it will take the shop to get a hood and fender...
^ Good advice. I'll have to see if there is any extra stuff I can work in for cash.

If I ID this fucker, I'll just take pics and notify police and insurance even tho the little voice in my head tells me I should take a sledge hammer to his truck in the same place.

My H4 light bulb is still working! :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Wow, people that do hit and runs are the biggest scum on earth. I saw such happen last summer in a mall parking lot in Albany, NY. This crazy lady in a Toyota Prius was backing out of her parking spot and backed RIGHT into the rear of a Toyota Camry. Upon contact, the Camry's bumper DISENTEGRATED into pieces. The owner of the camry was actually getting in the car when it happened, so he stepped out, started to walk toward the prius with a "what the fuck?" expression.

With him, and about 10 other people near the scene, the lady just takes right off, acting as if nothing ever happened...never stopped or said anything! I didn't know if the camry owner got her plate number, but I certainly did....trailing her through traffic until I got up close. After, I called the cops and I hope she went through hell. I'm praying the person that hit your car gets the same eventually.

As for tracking him/her down, did you check to see if there were any video recorders or security cameras around?

As for fixing that damage, get either new parts or quality, rust-free, used replacements. Your car will look new after all of the painting, blending, buffing, etc.

And I sympathize with you on the emotional side....stuff like this encites a rage deep within.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts