Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left high beam lamp receives no current. Multi-meter shows less than 1 volt with lamp removed and probes inserted into the connector while right high beam lamp is working (illuminated). Suspect lamp illumiates when removed and connected to 12v battery.

Also the high beam indicator on the control panel does not show. This occurred 60 days ago but righted itself. I don't know when it re-occurred as I don't use the high beam light much and didn't notice until today during a routine inspection.

I have no idea what to check next. Suggestions please?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Did you put a bulb in it? If the bulb control relay senses the bulb is bad it may stop sending power to the connector with the bulb removed.

If the bulb is good (put the right side bulb in to be sure), open the relay cover up by the windshield, and press down on and wiggle the orange 'LAMP CONTROL' relay, that may make the light come back on.

If it does, replace the orange relay, or find the how-to thread on what joints you need to re-solder to repair yours if you're handy with electronics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After receiving your message, while the high-beam lights were switched on, I wiggled the lamp control big orange (F1) relay and the left one joined the right in working. The blue indicator in the instrument panel also started working again.

For a more permanent fix, you suggested that I replace or repair the orange relay. This must mean that the problem is inside the relay housing, perhaps loose or missing solder, and not its terminals due to corrosion. Nevertheless, I'll clean the terminals and wait for another failure before I buy the new relay or attempt an internal repair.

Thanks a lot, I was without ideas.
Stephen

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The solder joints where the spades come out of the relay board come apart and stop conducting.

Just touch the blades with a soldering iron and re-do all the joints for the pins. That relay isn't actually a relay, it's a little circuit board in a case that makes it look like a relay (sneaky little fucks), if you overheat the pins trying to re-solder them you'll fry the board, so just get it hot enough to melt, don't fart around in there for too long.

If you don't have a good iron and some experience soldering, I'd just get another.

Sometimes after jiggling them they work fine for a while, sometimes not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
High-beam Failure

I took the unit apart but didn't locate a fault. Your information about the connection at the spade clarifies the repair action. If that fails I can connect the spades as you advised earlier. If that fails, I'll replace it.

I live in rural Central Texas about 75 miles from the nearest Saab Dealer in Austin and 50 miles from a Saab mechanic with some factory sponsored training.

The dealer provides "remove and replace" service at a hefty price. I grew up in my dad's auto repair garage (1955 - 1960) and like to continue doing what I can toward maintenance. I no longer work a paying job which provides the time to climb the learning curve but takes away some of the funds [thus the 2002 9-5 with 135k].

I subscribe to the alldatadiy.com service which explains the location, function and operation but fails as to the repair detail and certainly does not provide the knowledge gained from experience like Saablink.net does, which has allowed me to keep the Saab running. Since I take more advice than I can give I donate money to keep Saablink running.

If/when it fails again I'll give the solder repair a try. I have some welding experience and have taken a course on solder but don't have much experience soldering small items. I have nothing to loose by destroying the unit assuming I must replace it to fix the problem.

Thanks again -- I wish I lived closer to Right Solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem only the left high beam light is not working. I wiggled the big/tall orange relay ( light control and flash) bingo light came. If still does not work, you might have to replace or fix the orange relay. Just make sure the light is good not broken first.

Thanks,
treb
02saab95-3.0-turbo- removed-runs-fine-still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts