Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing my Phillips HID kit on the viggen on saturday. I had it in my tib with h& bulbs, then bought the H4- hi/lo bulbs from ebay last week. Only took a week to get here from hong kong! Anyhow, anybody done this before? I can't imagine wiring shoudl be much different then on the tibby, but if you installed one, where did you mount ballasts, ground, etc. Any Pics? I'll try to take some myself for the setup when it's done.

TIA
Pete-

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
awesome - document the install and yes - takes pics. If you make a good write up on how to do this with all parts and materials we'll post it as a how to do for later use. Good Luck! I'll be waiting to see the final results! :)

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I personally haven't done the install, but I know someone who has. Maybe he'll post about it on here.

Definately take pics if you get it done. How much did it run you?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the kit on my tib. It cost me less than 200 canadian originally(don't ask..I didn't :wink: ) that was with h7 bulbs. The new hi/lo h4's cost 100 USD shipped from hong kong. Not too bad. I am obsessed with HID's and all my cars get them. Hopefully the weather will be nice to let me do the install this weekend.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Wait.... you can get a hi/lo HID kit for viggens? HID is like the crazy uber white blue lights right? and how much is this? LINK ME TO THIS SHIT!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first link is just shit, that's nothing more than a blue cover over a High wattage bulb. The others are the real deal, but I only suggest hella or phillips ballasts. I'll see how this goes on the weekend . Should work well in the housing.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
that sounds like a really wicked upgrade. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Does anybody know anyone that already has HID conversion in their NG900 or 9-3? I am curious if it runs hotter and causes any damage to any of the parts, due to excess heat and possibly melting plastic or wires?

I have been considering this upgrade, but want to be 100% sure it won't cost me more money down the road?

I have read that safe and proper HID systems are more than just bulbs and ballasts... will the beams project properly? true Xenon/HID factory installed usually have special glass, reflectors and special beam focusers or lenses. Also, will this kit make a car fail inspection for being too bright and not properly focused?

Not to knock this, I love it. I just want to be sure it won't be a headache if I try to go this route....

TIA if anyone knows the answers....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While it's true that Factory HID systems have auto-leveling, and usually more focused projector lenses, it's not that much of a differance. The beam pattern and dispersal may not be exact, but increase in light output is amazing. Also looks cool as hell! I ran am trying to figureout the wiring right now becasue it's a different connector than my current setup, so I'll have to custom wiring it. The multi-meter is my friend!

·
Registered
251 Posts
i heard that u will want the e-code headlights if you get HIDs. Im not positive but us spec lenses will just scatter it while e-codes will focus them and make a clear line which it will not go over so it doesnt disturb the oncoming traffic as much.

·
Registered
584 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
I have read that safe and proper HID systems are more than just bulbs and ballasts...
That is true. "Safe and proper" meaning a complete, certified OEM or aftermarket headlight system that happens to be HID. HID "kits" that consist of bulbs, ballasts, and wiring installed in your stock housings are a different story.

will the beams project properly?
No. The reflector design is indeed pretty different for the different types of bulb. It may be close, but you won't get the same projection pattern as a factory HID assembly. And, you won't have the auto-leveling feature built into OEM HID systems.

Best case scenario - the differences are not noticeable and you go on with life. Worst case - the pattern is terrible and the cutoff is high enough that you're blinding oncoming traffic. I've seen both cases happen with aftermarket "kits."

Also, will this kit make a car fail inspection for being too bright and not properly focused?
You'll fail inspection if the inspector knows what to look for and cares enough to actually look for it. Headlight systems that are not DOT approved will fail. If you just slap other internals in your stock housing, you will *probably* pass, since the inspector will probably see the DOT certification molded into your stock lenses and think everything is fine (if he even bothers to look for it.)

But, technically, you've created a headlight system that is not DOT approved (even though the stamp remains on your stock parts) and it cause your car to fail inspection.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Thanks, I think I am gonna wait on this... Although I definitely want to see some pics if anyone does an install. Pics of the install, and also the difference in color, intensity and distance of the light emitted frm stock vs. HID, if possible....

Besides, enough people flash their lights at me, thinking my brights are on, when it is just my good ol Silverstars! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thinking of trying the Sylvania Cool Blues when the Silverstars go, just to see if there is much difference. I heard they are not really very blue at all, which is a good thing. I don't want super blue super fake super rice super cheap bulbs. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got all the wiring straightened out now, should be installing it on sunday. I also did the clear corners yesterday...that was a good use of ten mins! Looks awesome, and was sooo easy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well they are install and look great! Two issues left to work out. I need to re-aim them up and out alittle, and the SID always displays a "Front lght failure " error at startup. This is because the SID checks for continuity along the connections, and with the HID kit the relay is switched, therefore has no complete circuit of it's own. I'll have to live with this, especially for how sweet it looks. Car should definately have come with these factory.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Does it brighten the road up, or does the beam have the same problems that we predicted?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pics are comming-Patience boys..patience! The beam is centered and too low. It is focused on a spot about 10 feet out in front of the car. Mind you, that spot is bright as Day, but still not wide and dispersed enough for my liking. It is most definately brighter, and once it's aimed alittle better, it'll be fantastic. I install 6000k bulbs, so it gives it a nice blue/purple look that matches th black of the car nicely. Only other problem is that the fog lights are now WAAAAY to yellow in comparison. I do have a 2nd set of 6000k bulbs, but they are H7 style. Anybody know off hand what the viggen fogs use for bulbs? If I can get the bulbs to fit with some modification, I'll pickup a 2nd set of ballasts and get those going too. hmmmmm ...........purty bright lights!

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Check the manual for the Viggen fog lights. I think they're different from the NG900s which is either H3 or H4.

·
10,303 Posts
So are you going to tell us the wiring secrets? Thats what I want to know?

By the way, what wire running to the headlights is the High beam wire? I want to wire my KCs to the high beam switch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts