Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a set of HID's, my dad decided to take it upon himself to install them tonight while I am still at school. Everything turns on and works great, I have high beam and low beam that work accordingly with the controls. Only issue is that they stay on for a while even with the headlight switch turned off. My dad called me and said they were staying on, and shortly after we hung up they shut off by themselves.

Any ideas, my guess is he has it hooked up wrong somehow, but if it works perfect otherwise, I am not so sure.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Theres not much to hooking up hids and Im not sure but I think the ng900's had a follow me home feature that I would check into.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
You couldn't turn my Aero HIDs off either. They would just flash in a hilariously cop-ish fashion. They would turn off with the car off, or if it wasn't running.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You couldn't turn my Aero HIDs off either. They would just flash in a hilariously cop-ish fashion. They would turn off with the car off, or if it wasn't running.
Mike, how did the HID kit work when you had the NG? did it turn off like it should or was it similar to mine?

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Mike, how did the HID kit work when you had the NG? did it turn off like it should or was it similar to mine?
I don't remember really. But I only had a low beam kit, I think it shut off.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
That or a sticking relay in the harness maybe? DependIng on how it's set up. I'm assuming you used an aftermarket harness for power?

·
Registered
315 Posts
if you hooked them up to the factory plugs, buy a h4 relay kit for like $15 and it will probably fix it. but you will get a headlight failure message on the sid if you use the relay...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
if you hooked them up to the factory plugs, buy a h4 relay kit for like $15 and it will probably fix it. but you will get a headlight failure message on the sid if you use the relay...
You could install resistors to overcome the lamp failure message, as long as its enough resistance to simulate a bulb.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got home, gonna go out and take a look at how my dad set it up. The kit came with a harness, not sure if he used it or not, but I will let you guys no. If it is just extra power bleeding off like tweek said, would it be draining power from the battery or no? I am going to try starting the car with the HL switch on OFF to see if they come on or not.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
or just bend the pin on the relay.
I saw that on here somewhere, can't remember which pin to bend on the orange relay though, anyone got a quick link? If not I will search it up.

I just went out to see the kit, seems to be hooked up right, or the only way it could be. He did use the harness that comes off the driver's side light, which meets at a junction box thing, which then somehow hooks to the battery and send connection over to the passenger side. The passenger side does not have anything plugging into the stock plug, it just hangs there. There is no way to not hook up the harness, or the bulb wouldn't be hooked up to anything.

I turned the key ON, turned the switch on, and the lights came on, turned the switch OFF and the lights turned off. Turned the key off. My dad wanted me to turn the lights back on so I did, I then realized the battery was um, drained, so I tried to start the car and no luck. He had the lights on last night without the car running and the car has been sitting for 3 weeks so it is probably a combo of those 3 things.

I will find out tomorrow when I can open the garage up and start the car if everything is in working order. I will also know if I have a bulb light failure message or not.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, went out and finished the install, had to bend the C2 pin which eliminated the sid failure. If I have the light switch on ON and turn the car off, the lights cut out right away, so it seems to be solved there. Only issue is they do NOT seem bright at all. I was half blind driving down my road just now, it seems they are just pointed too far down. I need to play with the adjusters to see if I can aim the light better, cause as of now they are no better, possibly worse than stock. Looks 'cool' though*

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol were you inspired by my amazing HIDs?
Oh yes, your HID's further convinced me to just do it.

Brightness is solved, turns out the lights were aimed way too far down, partially from lowering the car causing a nose heavy stance, and partially because they were always aimed wrong. After re-aiming, they seem to be bright, much much better than stock. Only issue left is that the passenger side seems to have this very slight flicker that is hardly noticeable, but can be noticed while idling facing a solid object (such as garage).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts