Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm Peter and from Melbourne Australia.

A few weeks back at my mates wedding over a few beers my mate convinced me that a black saab 9000 would make a good sleeper.
After my dad owning a 1993 9000CS since new up until about 3 months ago I knew they were reliable and thought why not.

So I am the proud new owner of a 1996 Aero. It cost me $7k Aussie equivelant to 4200 pounds or $7200 US
These are quite rare in Aus and $7k is actually quite cheap for an Aero considering CSE's go for between 3-6k here.

It has a few bad points but nothing you couldn't expect from a 15 year old car.

So on here to find out the electrical mysteries this car has.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Welcome, and by the way, your steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Looks like someone nabbed the front lower valence, and the replacement wasnt painted. Also the rear bumper was swapped for a CSE.

Also I hope the drivers side door is just ajar in the 3rd pic. Something looks a bit off there. It may just be the picture though.

Either way, Nice Aero!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL I think that when I look at oversea's models. Always been curious is it still accelerator on the right there or is that backwards too.

WOW you're right I never even paid attention to the rear bumper as I was more concerned about the front. Bastard! that is so gay it looks like crap.
This mean its probably had a hard hit up the ass end as well as the front as saab 9000 bumpers can take a hard hit.
The front I think the lower valence has been swapped for a CSE also because in the front corners it nowhere near meets the upper half of the bumper.
Going to respray the front bumper and rear spoiler. Chances of me getting original bumpers though will be next to impossible as finding a genuine aero was hard enough only 4 in the country 2 of which sold before I could get to them.

The 3rd picture is just playing tricks when I reduced the image it made it go funny like the right hand side of the grill looks clear and you can see the headlight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes.

Welcome! Hope your excited for the cricket world cup ;)
Unfortunately not a huge fan of cricket 20-20 is alright and I can watch a fair bit of a one dayer but test cricket yuck seems like a game of monopoly with 2 people when you're even owning properties. Just goes on forever.

Stealth-looking 9000! Welcome!
That is my aim.

Going with darker tint, about 30mm lower, 17 or 18 inch machined look alloy wheels with some black. Already debadged the back and fitted a Maptun filter.
Going to buy a maptun coolant and intercooler silicone hose and pipe kit.
I will do the downpipe on the exhaust and fit a high flow cat then I'm not sure about the rest of the exhaust as I want it quiet so people don't expect anything. Then a stage 3 maptun tune. I downloaded the t5 suite but don't think I have the tuning know how to work with fuel maps.
The most tuning I've ever done is with carburettors and distributors. It was easy to apply more or less spark and fuel.

Also fitted a stereo but disappointed the amps couldn't fit under the front seat and had to mount them to the back seats.
Running MTX 4" components up front, 6" Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers up the rear, 15" JVC sub, Clarion 400w RMS Monoblock for sub and crappy Boss 4 channel amp for speakers.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Haha not a fan of test cricket either, only on the 4th or 5th day I'll watch, but 2020 and odi's are still interesting. I'm hoping Pakistan lives up to the dark horse name and wins it all. Not to sure how far the Aussies will make it. Even if your not a fan I hope you're still supporting the team!

·
Registered
369 Posts
It always makes me do a double take when I see what the price of a car was down under.

Then I remember that there was a logic to life down there that is strange to us here in the US.

Isn't it something like things that you would deem necessary are very inexpensive? I remember eating like royalty in Townsville in the late 1960's having a huge steak or platter of fish & chips for a pittance. And on a Navy "salary" that was just a bit over $100 a month it had to be inexpensive.

Then one of the folks said that "luxury" items like a TV set, radio or auto are three or four times "the states", but food and housing were very reasonable.

I ask this as a question of course.

Nice car and you have good taste in colors. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha not a fan of test cricket either, only on the 4th or 5th day I'll watch, but 2020 and odi's are still interesting. I'm hoping Pakistan lives up to the dark horse name and wins it all. Not to sure how far the Aussies will make it. Even if your not a fan I hope you're still supporting the team!
I think the aussie's will play crap if the start of this year is anything to go by.

It always makes me do a double take when I see what the price of a car was down under.

Then I remember that there was a logic to life down there that is strange to us here in the US.

Isn't it something like things that you would deem necessary are very inexpensive? I remember eating like royalty in Townsville in the late 1960's having a huge steak or platter of fish & chips for a pittance. And on a Navy "salary" that was just a bit over $100 a month it had to be inexpensive.

Then one of the folks said that "luxury" items like a TV set, radio or auto are three or four times "the states", but food and housing were very reasonable.

I ask this as a question of course.

Nice car and you have good taste in colors. :)
I don't know if food is cheap but I guess it can be. I can get a whole eye fillet steak for $35 which is 4.4 pounds from the butcher. There's even a pub that has $1 porterhouse days so you get salad chips and 500gm porterhouse but it gets packed mainly just to get people drinking there and it works.
Housing is very expensive apparently the states is the place to buy right now. In Melbourne houses are around $350,000 for a 30 year old 2 bedroom.

Car parts are very expensive and much cheaper from the states. For my corolla track car Pistons in aus were $250 and from the states they were $250 but I also got rings, bearings and full gasket kit.
The cheapest price lightweight flywheel in Aus was $520 from the states I paid $350 and got flywheel, 6 puck brass clutch, HD pressure plate, release bearing and alignment tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts