Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the search for a Hi flow intercooler for my 01 aero.. The stock ones are apparently "restrictive"... in other words.. it can definitly be inproved upon..Now i just went to a car show the other day and i see all these turbo charged cars with these massive intercoolers stickin out the bottom and stuff.. and i have grown to jsut love the looks.. but I dont understand why saab doesnt make an intercooler like those.. their intercoolers jsut look like radiators!..
Anywase my question is that i want to know if anyone knows of a company or place i can get a high flow intercoooler for my car.. besides the obvious abbottracing website.. Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Mike,

Saab doesn't put a big intercooler on its cars because a big intercooler by itself won't do much to help performance. It really only comes into play after a couple of other things happen, none of which are happening on stock vehicles. As is, the 9-5 IC is plenty big for your car's current power output.

The restrictive part of the whole equation is the exhaust backpressure, which you can help by going to a full 3'' exaust system from the turbo back. Less backpressure allows the turbo to spin better, which allows the car to breathe better, which enables the car to produce more power.

So, before touching the IC, or anything on the intake side, worry about the exhaust side. That will have the most immediate effect, and is the first step to producing the kind of ooomph that an Aero can deliver.

Then you can get all the pretty bits! (FYI.....there's a guy selling a Spearco FMIC on ebay for pretty cheap...That's where I bought mine.)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The stock IC sits on top of the oil cooler lines and under part of the AC system. Maximum height is about 8 inches, and that's bending the oil cooler lines just a hair.

Core ]depth is probably going to be 2.5 to 3 inches with a Spearco.

Length is a different matter all together and varies depending on the placement of the end tanks. With end tanks like those shown below on mine, max width is 28 inches (core is about 19 inches) because the inlet and outlet tubes measure 2.5 inches diameter.

If the end tanks are both pointing back toward the engine instead of to the side, max width is about 31 inches....

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The Viggen IC is fine up to about 230-240 bhp, but Viggen owners complain that it's too restrictive for any further hp mods. I'm planning on 280-290 bhp, so the Spearco was a necessary step...

The car is currently getting an engine from an 01 SET, so I can't give you an real-world data. I would check saabcentral and saabnet to see links to sites where guys have dyno'd their cars before and after the Spearco switch...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey mike.. do you know what size intercooler is on the 01 aero?.. im not sure of the size.. and im not handy enough to take my front end apart to measure it myself..
Also.. I heard from a saab dealer actually that the aero has 3 intercoolers?.. or rads.. i dunno.. was he jsut trying to sound like he knew shit.. orr.. and i crazy?, or. wat? haha :?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Mike, I would think you have the Viggen IC, cause your engine is basically the same (B235R) as the Viggen....I'll try to check for you...

EDIT: I'm wrong. You might have the full size flow-through IC, similar to what's in the 9000. (Part no. 4576039). The Viggen IC wouldn't help much at all for you.

You have an engine radiator, an oil cooler, an air conditioner condenser, and the intercooler. Definitely not three intercoolers!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay.. im not the smartest person when it comes to engines and stuff.. but i love to learn.
so. the black one in the front of the car... thats the rad?..
where is the intercooler then?! :?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
the intercooler is either:

the one located between the radiator and air conditioning (crappy place for it..)

or located below the air conditioner dryer and above the oil cooler lines...

it should be right behind the center vent in the air dam...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay.. so by air dam u meannnn? haha
also.. will it be all.. shiney and aluminum? orr.. hidden from view?.. ive looked round but havent found n e thing! lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mr.Dobsi said:
okay.. so by air dam u meannnn? haha
also.. will it be all.. shiney and aluminum? orr.. hidden from view?.. ive looked round but havent found n e thing! lol
Follow your air piping from the filter to the turbo. On the edge of the snail will be the turbo exit piping. Follow that to the intercooler and your there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts