Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I think that's kind of expensive. He does have some goodies, but I don't think they're enough to make it worth that much. Rafal's Viggen was much nicer and I don't think he got that much money. Ask the seller about maintenance. The key parts you should worry at this mileage are the DI Cassette, MAF sensor, CPS, Throttle Body, and whether or not it has had the PCV 6 Update. If it hasn't had the update, ask him/her about the oil change intervals (should be no more than 5k miles at a time) and whether or not the car has been checked for sludge. Oh and check on the water pump, too.

I would say if all the parts I mentioned were replaced and there aren't any extra problems, that car is worth $7000

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Rafal's Viggen was much nicer and I don't think he got that much money. Ask the seller about maintenance. The key parts you should worry at this mileage are the DI Cassette, MAF sensor, CPS, Throttle Body, and whether or not it has had the PCV 6 Update. If it hasn't had the update, ask him/her about the oil change intervals (should be no more than 5k miles at a time) and whether or not the car has been checked for sludge. Oh and check on the water pump, too.
well...rafals viggen is a bad example, since its now for sale after requiring the new owner to put in a new motor within 3 months of purchasing it...

the rest of the advice is spot on. and yes its overpriced.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Id say its not too far off for a Cali car, as long as its in excellent shape. I know when i sell something i never list it at the minimum figure that i'd take.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Price might be off by 1000-1500, but then again, we're all rather frugal (aka cheap) on this forum. The problem with a Viggen, 9-5, or any used Saab from this generation is the potential for major engine problems IF the car hasn't been maintained. Even if it has been maintained, still no assurances unless you're having the oil pan dropped before buying. That uncertainty, at least to me, follows every 9-3 and 9-5 made from 1999-2005ish. Such, in my opinion, is a huge deterrent for spending big money on a used Saab from the era. If the car is in mint shape and it checks out nicely, then the price might not be too bad. Then again, you have no guarantees considering the countless examples of similar vehicles that have had catastrophic mechanical problems. If I were you, I would spare no expense in checking out any Viggen you're interested in. Do your due diligence or you'll be rolling the dice. No matter how good they look, a car, especially a Saab from 1999-2005ish generation, needs to have either thorough maintenance records or a detailed inspection. I would be sick if I bought what seemed to be a "mint" car and it ended up blowing up just months later (like viggen rafal once had). Don't let that be you! Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Price might be off by 1000-1500, but then again, we're all rather frugal (aka cheap) on this forum. The problem with a Viggen, 9-5, or any used Saab from this generation is the potential for major engine problems IF the car hasn't been maintained. Even if it has been maintained, still no assurances unless you're having the oil pan dropped before buying. That uncertainty, at least to me, follows every 9-3 and 9-5 made from 1999-2005ish. Such, in my opinion, is a huge deterrent for spending big money on a used Saab from the era. If the car is in mint shape and it checks out nicely, then the price might not be too bad. Then again, you have no guarantees considering the countless examples of similar vehicles that have had catastrophic mechanical problems. If I were you, I would spare no expense in checking out any Viggen you're interested in. Do your due diligence or you'll be rolling the dice. No matter how good they look, a car, especially a Saab from 1999-2005ish generation, needs to have either thorough maintenance records or a detailed inspection. I would be sick if I bought what seemed to be a "mint" car and it ended up blowing up just months later (like viggen rafal once had). Don't let that be you! Good luck in your search.
Once the pcv update was added in '03 or w/e i was under the impression that the issues were solved? Assuming synthetic oil changes and what not i guess, but still.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Once the pcv update was added in '03 or w/e i was under the impression that the issues were solved? Assuming synthetic oil changes and what not i guess, but still.
My father, a Saab master tech, and other mechanics he's worked with over the years, have said the pcv is often more of a "band-aid" type of repair. Unless an owner could show me that the update was done when specified by the dealer/mechanic, I would still suggest people drop the oil pan for peace of mind. Think about it this way...at 80k, a pcv update is done on one car and at 130k, a pcv update is done on another car. At those points, a car had a "faulty" system for 80k or 130k miles. One would think the 80k car would be cleaner and more reliable long-term, but who really knows what could have occurred internally during those periods on both cars? My point is that pcv might give a little peace of mind, but who really knows what's going on internally? These cars are still notorious for leaking headgaskets, oil pressure sensors, etc. I'm just saying that nothing substitutes going over these cars with a fine tooth comb. If someone does that, they'll get a good vehicle.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
i had three viggens fwiw

first blue one was sold to krelly and i think he had to change the DI. other than that it was top notch.

second one was yellow. great condition as well. sold to a guy in MA. no complains from him.

third one was blue again, i didn't know anything about it. i replaced tranny mount and P/s pump and was working like a charm. i saw that thread and looks like 3 months after i sold it, engine was sludged and needed to be replaced.

but yeah like raffi is saying, i sold my first viggen two years ago for that money and it had 83k miles and was top notch. this one is obviously TMD and my least fav color on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts