Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad came home today and told me the aero was hesitating and not boosting fully. So i took it for a spin and sure enough the needle would get to half way and stop. I did the basic things, swapped the DIC for a known good one, the BPC and BPV as well. Checked the vacuum lines and everything seems to be in working order. I'm at a loss no idea what else it could be. I was thinking maybe the plugs are bad but i haven't gotten a chance to check them out as of yet. The car drives fine when its not in boost but as soon as you try to accelerate it starts missing/hesitating. I unpluged the W hose and i was able boost into the red but it wasnt smooth and it was still hesitating slightly

Any ideas?

Its a 96 Aero 5spd with TCS if you guys don't know already

TIA

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Turbo is going.

Check for shaft play. Burning anything?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
you sure it has tcs? my understanding is that tcs was tossed starting in 96 with the addition of obd2. As for your problem the ignition cassettes can run 100% fine out of boost but studder under it. Id check the plugs and replace those especially if their mileage is unkown to start with

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I believe in 96 it was optional.

any cels?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbo is going.

Check for shaft play. Burning anything?
See i thought that at first but there is no smoke burning or oil dripping from anywhere. I will definitly check it out tomorrow

you sure it has tcs? my understanding is that tcs was tossed starting in 96 with the addition of obd2. As for your problem the ignition cassettes can run 100% fine out of boost but studder under it. Id check the plugs and replace those especially if their mileage is unkown to start with
I believe in 96 it was optional.

any cels?
It maybe a 95 then i forget, it's my dads car. There was no CEL as far as i can remember but I'll find the scanner and give it a scan. Apart from the turbo could it be anything more serious? I'll pull the plugs first thing tomorrow, maybe its not running on all 4 cylinders? The unusual thing is you can drive the car in base boost just fine

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked out the turbo yesterday and it seemed fine, very little play. I did notice a small coolant leak that i wouldnt have other wise. The only thing i hadn't checked was the spark plugs. I pulled them out and they were ok at best so i swapped in the NGKs that were in my car old 9k. Started the car up and went for a drive and sure enough the car was back to normal.

Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Start with Plugs...I had the same issue and plugs sorted it out.
Yeah i should have started with the plugs but when i did most of the diagnostics the car was still hot and i didn't want to deal with burning hot plugs. Next time I'll wait for the car to cool down and check the plugs first. At least now i know the DIC, BPC, BPV, Turbo and the vacuum lines are all in good working condition :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts