Saab Link Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed a couple drops of what looked like coolant on my garage floor. I thought, "hmmmm....that's not good, but I'm glad it's only a couple drops and not a puddle." I checked the coolant level and it was perfect. I also did a quick check for any visible leaks following the "coolant hose" (doubt it's called that...I'm not too mechanically inclined) and saw no signs of said leak. I decided I'd do a more thorough check again the next day if evidence of a leak persisted. Well, true to my word, I checked again this morning and noticed another couple of drops on the garage floor after pulling my Viggen out. It appeared the leak was directly behind the front bumper area in my Viggen, in the foremost part of the engine bay. I grabbed a beach towel and a mini maglite and decided to look at the underbelly of my beast. After limited searching I found what had to be the culprit...a busted hose right behind the plastic brush/scrape guard at the front of the engine bay . I have attached a pic for your viewing pleasure, and am hoping the more mechanically competent members of this forum may be able to help me.

My main questions are:
1) What broke?
2) Is this what has caused the apparent coolant leaks I noticed?
3) Is this an expensive repair?
4) Will/has this cause(d) damage to other parts of my car?
5) Is it safe to drive my car around with this issue (e.g. to the shop to get it fixed)?

Thanks for any and all help! I really appreciate it. I am hoping I can get a proper diagnosis so I'm not in the dark. Hopefully this isn't a major issue

Regards,
Nate

·
Registered
222 Posts
Im not totally sure but after looking at my car I think it may have something to do with the AC. I wish I could be of more help but I am just learning most of this as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, guys. i also posted this on another board and the consensus was that the protective sheath around my a/c return hose had torn. what i haven't been able to determine is whether or not the actual hose (not the protective sheath) has ruptured. i couldn't detect a rupture running my finger over it, but i'm going to go have it checked out anyway. good guess, lemon! you are learning quickly it seems :wink:

·
Registered
222 Posts
HA, go figure the guys with the Viggens know the least about whats going on. They must think were both a bunch of yuppies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lemonscu said:
HA, go figure the guys with the Viggens know the least about whats going on. They must think were both a bunch of yuppies.
well..if they didn't before, now they do :lol: thanks a lot, lemon! :wink:

·
Registered
222 Posts
What are ya gonna do , we have to learn somehow. Its better to ask and get answers instead of rip apart my dream car and learn by trial and error. If I did everything that came into my head I would be parting my car out on ebay. It seems to be easy to take things apart its the putting back together that gets me. :lol:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
whoa dude, looks like you broke your Henway! that sucks

~justin

·
Registered
392 Posts
oh man that car is absolutely broken beyond any hopes of repairing....so what do you say ill take it off your hands for a small amount of money, since its trash anyway :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i dunno dude, i wouldn't even take it if he paid me, i mean, his henway is broken, and those are really hard to find

~justin

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sad day....but for the best.

Seeing that my Henway was broken, I figured I'd rather sell my Viggen to anyone willing to buy her, than keep her and deal with the astronomical repair costs you have been suggesting :cry: I really didn't want to do this, but my wife and I talked and figured it was the best thing to do if we wanted to recoup any of our initial investment in the car. Thanks for letting me know about the severity of my Viggen's condition, even though you knew it wasn't what I wanted to hear. It sucked to hear, but I really appreciate your honesty. Well, to make a long story short...I was able to get her off of my hands today for a decent price. I thought it would be hard to find someone willing to take her off of my hands with the Henway issue, but to my surprise I found a great college kid willing to give me $5,000 even with the problem!!! Either he didn't know how bad it was or he really wanted the car, because he couldn't hide his excitement :roll: I am just happy I was able to do what was best for my wife and I even though it hurt to let my baby go. Thanks so much, you guys! I appreciate your advice and honesty so much and wouldn't have known this was best for me without your help. I am going to start my search for a Viggen again, as soon as I am able to save up a bit of dough to make up for the money the first one cost me :twisted :evil: This time I'll make sure there are no problems with the Henway!!! :shock:

I give you a shot to remember her by. 2000 Viggen 5dr. Flawless inside and out (except for that damn Henway issue). Only 30k on the clock. My dream car.

Thanks again, guys. I'll continue to visit the boards and will be back as soon as I get a new Viggen...this time without that damn problem!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
you gave it away for 5 grand, are you dumb?! hell, i'd have given you 6 for it! why didn't you sell it on here?!

~justin

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
saabguy said:
you gave it away for 5 grand, are you dumb?! hell, i'd have given you 6 for it! why didn't you sell it on here?!

~justin
You would've given me 6k, justin?! I'm so stupid :oops: Would anyone else have given me more, too?!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
dude, ya, heck, i'd have given you all my friends too, cause that car is sweet

although you are in oregon, that's a little far for me, i'm just a simple mainer, i'd have to have you hang on to it until i could fly out there, but ya, 6 grand could've been yours if you had asked us first, instead of the college kid you sold it to!

~justin

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.