Saab Link Forums banner

Help Reclocking a TD04

570 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  dan-the-kid 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I need to reclock the volvo td04 I picked up recently.

I took off the wastegate, unbolted the V-band clamp holding on the exhaust side, and pulled it off. I then cut off the guide pin, and cleaned some of it up for good measure.

But now when I put the exhaust housing back onto the CHRA, the turbine binds up somewhere on the side of the housing and cant move.

I can pull the exhaust housing back off and everything is still spins and is fine. This is my first turbo reclock....What am I doing wrong?

#3 ·
I figured that much...Just not sure what else to do other then smacking the housing a bit and checking to see if it aligned any better.

#5 ·
Dabbed on some oil on the CHRA and inside the exhaust housing.

A few love taps later and I think it seated correctly...
...that is it probably will blow up a few miles down the road...

#8 ·
Yeah, while it spins freely and doesn't bind at all. It doesn't have the same long last spin like turbo in car has.

I'm guessing its since the turbo has probably next to no oil in it. Still gotta mount the wastegate though.

At this rate, my plan is it get it on during winter break. Do an exhaust and see if I can find a deal on an IC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.