Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to make this the year that I am really ticking things off of my list of "stuff to do before I die"

24 Hours of Lemons is the big one

But I have also wanted to do a sprint distance triathlon. Seeing as it's too late to do 14 weeks of training for an actual tri; I was thinking of doing a duathlon.

Run 2.5 miles
Bike 10 miles
Run 2.5 miles

So how do I start training.

Here is what I do current:

a. eat healthy
b. bike (indoor) for at least 40 mins (minimum of four times a week, usually six)
c. bike (outdoor, mtn or hardpack) for 10-20miles (once a week)

I don't run. Hate it. But I guess I will take it up.

Also, bikes.

I have a single speed and a hardtail. I will probably dump the hard tail and pick up a roadbike...likely used in the $700-800 range.

Tips?

Thoughts?

And yes, I know, a person in decent shape would have no problem knocking this duathlon out.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
my traning goes something like this. Should work for you. ain't hard untell u start worrying about time
monday:5mi run/swim laps
tuesday:3mi run/bike 10mi
wensday:weight training/swim
thursday: 7mi run
friday: off
saturday: Bike 15 milies
sunday: off

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I've done a few of these.

First off, before you ditch the Mtn bike, make sure there is no off roading. The few that I did had a little trail in them. It's better to get street tires for your mtn bike that way they can still withstand hard impacts if there's trails.

Run more than you bike. You hate it, but the 5 miles running is far harder than the 10 mile bike.

Also train atleast biking then running. The sensation you feel after getting off a bike from a hard ride and trying to run is rediculous. I felt like I forgot how to run. Getting use to that transistion will make the final 2.5 miles much easier.

I would try to get up to running 5-6 miles without needing to stop, then throw in some biking. If at all possible run outside, tredmill running is not the same cardio as running outside.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Chris you are probably in ok enough shape to do it now.

I have some "road bike" tires that mount to 26" wheels if you want to borrow those. They make your mountain bike really fast on pavement.

In fact I have a few different flavors. I have some skinny 1.25" ones, then some slick 1.95" ones, and then some semi slick 2.0" ones. So if you have to go off road you'd jump to probably the semi slick.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting better!

I just ran a 5k in 28:40. Hopped off and got on a bike and biked at 122 avg cadence for 25 mins. Then hopped on the tread mill and ran .75 miles.

I had the biggest shit eating grin. I have never ran 5k before without slowing to walk for a bit. And yes, I know that isn't fast.

Topher 2.0 is sooo much better than Topher 1.0

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Nice!

I was stoked last winter to get my 5K time below 25 minutes. Now, I'm hovering in the low 24's.

I will say, that doing it for real is harder than a treadmill though, even with varied terrain, etc on the treadmill.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I hate running.

Never do it.

But, ran a 5k recently.

Did it in 26min.

Miserable thing running is...

I can offer you no info on the subject first hand. However, I will check w/ masochists I know who enjoy such a thing.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I will also submit.

Ran a 5k in 31min after a night of drinking heavy till 3AM to be up at 7:30AM to run at 8AM. Then pancake feed afterward. Never again.

Friends and I crash all the festivities at a town festival called Fleckafest in Elbow Lake MN. My friend Eric's whole family is from there so we get away with it. Kinda... LOL!

Enough of that.

Chris there are classes for endurance athletes at the running/walking room. I might check there for resources. My girlfriend Anne is training for her marathon through them. Seems to be quite a good program!

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I just did acouple spring length triathalons this summer, gonna go for an olympic length next summer....but anyways on your question about the bike, my first bike was a jamis satallite, nice starter bike (ran me about 600) but i knew the guy who owned the shop, also upgrade to bike pedels/shoes.

the tip about running/biking is good, but try to get out and do it outside, much different than biking in the gym. my routine was about a 12bike in the morning, 1.5mile run on the beach, shower go to work, ride home the 12miles and then hit the gym 3 nights a week after. granted i lost about 50lbs from start of fall semester last year. i winged the swim for my triathalons (about 11min for half mile open water swim) sine i had a good swimming background, but if your planning on doing a triathalon next summer, i would start swimming at least once a week now, technique is everything.

anyways good luck topher, pm if you want a more detailed example of my (weights, biking, running routine)

also make sure you get enough rest and fuel, if you don't you wont make any gains.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's this weekend. Yeah.

I am borrowing my roommate's roadbike...that I have never ridden. Goes against everything I have been told. But I sold my S.S. awhile back and don't feel like running my MTB. And have held of on buying a bike just for the purpose of this event...I will wait to see if I dig this type of thing.

I still hate running. But manage to run about 15miles a week and bike about 40-60.

Down to 182lbs from 228. And my stamina is way mo betta. Unfortunately, none of my clothes fit.

IBeurohem

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He rides the same size frame I do and has pedal cages.

My bike is clipless pedals.

In this event you run/ride/run with the same pair of shoes.

So it is more than just swapping tires on.

Thanks though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
He has a very good point.. Dont make any significatn changes while training for and right before an event. Slicks on your MTB is what I would do.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts