Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my tune 2000 9-3se H.O. my clutch slips on hard boost, so I got a six puck clutch and Vig. pressure plate from Genuine Saab, every one wants at least $700 in labor to put it in. Has anyone replaced their clutch on there own or should I bite the bullet and not waste my time and frustration doing it myself. Is there any other forum that might have some pics on how to do it. It seems like more than I can chew, im willing to give it a shot, but I feel like I all ready have spent alot on my car( $2600-car,$725-full 3in exhuast turbo back,$275-tune,$368-6 puck+PP, all that brings it around $4700 for the project and is the car even worth that) I have no idea what to do as money is getting tight. I love this car. Please help me out as I need as must feed back as possible! Thanks

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Saab DIY at platonoff.com

Good stuff their and a walk through on removal and install of the transmission. Clutch is somewhere in the middle.

I have done it but it is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
913 Posts
So after my tune 2000 9-3se H.O. my clutch slips on hard boost, so I got a six puck clutch and Vig. pressure plate from Genuine Saab, every one wants at least $700 in labor to put it in. Has anyone replaced their clutch on there own or should I bite the bullet and not waste my time and frustration doing it myself. Is there any other forum that might have some pics on how to do it. It seems like more than I can chew, im willing to give it a shot, but I feel like I all ready have spent alot on my car( $2600-car,$725-full 3in exhuast turbo back,$275-tune,$368-6 puck+PP, all that brings it around $4700 for the project and is the car even worth that) I have no idea what to do as money is getting tight. I love this car. Please help me out as I need as must feed back as possible! Thanks
I hear ya about the money. I guess it depends on having the time, place, tools, and desire (balls) to do it. All four. Anyway, that's a good tutorial that was recommended (albeit for an Ng900). I couldn't afford it either, but had it done by a reputable Indy for under $700.
I supplied the PP, disc, throwout bearing, and main seal. Had him drop the oil pan and check/clean the oil pickup screen (didn't need it). Also, didn't need anything but a throwout bearing, but went for the other stuff anyway. $304 for the Sachs Viggen clutch kit, $120 for the throwout bearing, $12 for the seal, all from eeuroparts.com. Oh yeah, and 5 quarts of Mobil 1.
So, for $1075, coulda, woulda, shoulda. Dropped it off/picked it up and put it on the card. Fun driving it with no throwout bearing. Prolly need a new starter next. That I'll do myself. Good Luck. Anyone need a VG stock Viggen PP? Clutch plate has 1/8" to the rivets.

·
Registered
465 Posts
i did mine myself, it is not a job you want to do alone if you are on the floor doing it. overall not too hard just need something to support the engine, and you def need something to bleed the clutch either pressure or vaccume bleeder.

it is a day job on the floor, i have been told 3-4 hours on a lift with some experiance.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have done a few now and it was my first. Definitely just need to make sure you have some help and a decently equipped garage to do it in. Hardest part is bench pressing the tranny back into the car while trying to get it aligned with the engine. The tuturials do a good job of explaining everything.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
It is a lot easier to get the trans back on if you remove the passenger axle. One less thing to line up.

I bled my clutch (well 3 or 4 of them now) with a piece of hose and a bike pump.

The hardest part is running into unexpected hold ups. Stripped bolt, broken clip, ect.

I left my homemade engine beam in wisconsin otherwise you could borrow it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts