Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Basically i want a five speed. (900se or 9-3) Like im practically on a mission and determined to buy a 5speed and preferably with a hydraulic clutch since people say the cable clutch is inferior.

so basically if you see any clean one send me the link
or if you wanna sell me yours tell me about it :eek:

requirements
manual
hydraulic clutch set up

Optional but preferred:
Black interior
coupe

price range 2-4k

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the cable clutch actually that bad or is it good but hydro is better?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I believe the problem with the cable clutches is just that the cable tends to go bad often. Other than that I don't think there are any issues.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
How about a nice 1990 c900 Automatic Turbo Vert? You could buy mine for my current asking price - drive it home and swap a manual trans into it (not that it's needed) and still have money left over and have a nice classic Saab with style & performance!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I really don't see the problem with cable clutches myself. Never had a problem with any of mine (except the winter beater, which seems to need one). I kinda prefer the simplicity.... when the cable snaps it's a half hour job. When something in the hydraulic system fails it's probably a transmission out job.

But, to each his own.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ i like to hear things like that. Ok so 5 speed cable cluches are allowed as well. Anyone running stage 2-3 in a cable clutch car?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I really don't see the problem with cable clutches myself. Never had a problem with any of mine (except the winter beater, which seems to need one). I kinda prefer the simplicity.... when the cable snaps it's a half hour job. When something in the hydraulic system fails it's probably a transmission out job.

But, to each his own.
The pedal in a cable clutch feels like shit. I have had no problems with my NA that is cable over the last 30k miles or so, but it feels like shit compared to my Turbo with the hydro.

Don't rule out a good deal due to cable however, you can always SWAP in a hydro system. I had a guy almost sell me a 96 900se with only 84k when I bought my turbo for 2500. The body had no rust at all, but I hated the gold flake mica. Oh and he was kind of sketchy. Good deals can be had just be patient. You live in the south, find a rust free one :)

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
Aikmanson's car is wicked nice, maybe someday you'll let me drive it. Did you do a helper yet?

OP: I'll sell you my Aero if I can spray paint my name onto the hood.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
^ i like to hear things like that. Ok so 5 speed cable cluches are allowed as well. Anyone running stage 2-3 in a cable clutch car?
My clutch cable was fine till I got a stiffer PP, then they would break about once a year. Not all people have that bad luck though.

As for feel, I have not noticed a significant difference between my '96 and '99.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Aikmanson's car is wicked nice, maybe someday you'll let me drive it. Did you do a helper yet?
Sarcastic bastard. I guess you can take er' for a spin, maybe then you'll understand all the work I have done to get it to this level *

Kidding aside, I bought a spring and started mounting, but then said fuck it for now. It has been sitting in the garage for 2 weeks now, I'll be home next weekend maybe and I'll mess around with it. For now I am rocking 150bhp (optimistic) on your shitty steels.

OP: Take up Saabeh's offer, imagine seeing a sick aero with the name of a legend on the hood

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Mark you ran stage4 on a cable clutch?
Yup, but the cable only really becomes a factor when you change the clutch/PP. I had the Viggen Clutch and PP and I guess it would fail about every 18 months. Some of that I believe was due to autocrossing and whatnot.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts