Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i just brought my first saab 900 turbo today. i like the car and im about to start working on it i was after some imput from all u guys on best mods for best results. i noticed its got a apc is it easyer to just put a boost tee on or a boost controller to turn up boost rather then playing with the apc?what is the most boost i can run safely well realtively safely?16psi? i plan on putting a full 3' staight threw zorst no cats or mufflers. a 450x300 front mount cooler with a 2.5" piping. a turbo smart bov. autometer boost gauge and a/f gauge. then looking into a turbo and manifold upgrade and good tune. what do u guys think?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If you plan on getting a good tune out of it you need to convert to standalone or t5. I would put a muffler on the exhaust, without one it sounds to raspy. I have a catless exhaust into a straight magnaflow and it has a nice throat and is pretty damn loud. DO NOT RUN AN MBC either buy a modded apc (epartsland is a great source for one of these) or mod yours (900aero.com). As for a turbo a common upgrade is a t3 super 60, or a t3/t4. I use a gt28, and there are members on here running gt30's and holsets. As far as a manifold jak stoll is the only place i know of, i would buy one if they were less pricey :rolleyes: good luck, -Justin

also pics of car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have no idea how to turn the boost up on the apc. can i just put a mbc on and only run about 10 or 12 psi the engin rungs quite well smooth at the moment but the boost is very week till i have a gauge on it i wont no how much but i dare say its only 3 -5 psi

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I just gave you a link.

Stop texting us from your blackberry, and learn how to read English.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
First, welcome.

Second, you have a lot of research to do. This is not a civic. These cars are fussy and are easy to screw up if you don't do things right. Moost likely you need to first get the car to stage zero as the volvo guys say.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Welcome - please post some pictures of your car as it is tradition here and we will come after you with pitch forks and the such if you do not. And enjoy yourself here - listen to the people of the link - they know what they are talking about. Take the time to read up on the car you have - they are NOT hard to tune, but it takes thought and patients - usually a little money, but not much at all. Results will astond you for the little time and money you put into them - but again, you MUST do it right - and there are MANY sites to help SHOW/EXPLAIN these steps - as links have already been provided you are well on your way.

As spgproject has mentioned - it would a GOOD idea to FIRST get your car to "stage zero" - meaning fix everything that's funny or old first and make the car as it would have been compeltely stock - then begin modding. This will ensure the mods both work, and work the way they are intended to. New vac hoses are a good idea as are all new intake gromit bushings. You can find all those parts @ www.eeuroparts.com FYI and if you need any good used parts - see www.epartsland.com as they will have what you need and can build you modded APC units for upgrades.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
im in aus and there not a comon car over here im a bit confused about the apc moding. so i was wanting to put a mbc on it tho i looked at the vac lines and there is three going to the apc. witch line am i ment to tee the mbc into? thanks and thanks for the welcomes

and also do there saabs have a standard bov i had alook today couldnt c one but theres not much room to look ether.... if they have one can anyone tell me were they are because im going to mount a new aftermarker in the next few days on with the mbc

·
Registered
645 Posts
the apc unit needs to be removed to put in a mbc. the bypass valve is located at the base of the turbocharger(right at the intake)..dont expect the car to just magically be better with a bov and boost controller. thats not what these cars respond to.. if you vent the bov to the atmosphere the car WILL stall and idle like shit. if you just turn the boost up and the car is not in top form it most likely will knock causing engine damage..and if it doesnt knock and your bangin gears, BYE BYE trans...

word of advice, just like everyone else said, get the car back up to "stage 0".
its pretty obvious you dont understand what the apc is doing... it controlls boost based on knock(i.e. no knock=more boost, knock=base boost) get a real boost gauge on there and see what the psi is.. if its under 5.5 then
1. base boost is off, and needs to be adjusted and
2. the apc is NOT working

if the apc isnt working you need to figure out why..

·
Registered
516 Posts
im about to start working on it i was after some imput from all u guys on best mods for best results.
^in that case listen to what people have said, do the APC mod. The link that was given will show you what to do. If you dont want to do the APC mod yourself, there are people here who could sell you a modded APC.

Also, if your car is only running 3-5 psi, something is wrong, fix the actual problem. Trying to fix problems by adding an MBC isn't going to yield good results.

You cant run a atmospheric BOV, but theres info on upgrading your standard bosch bypass valve at http://www.900aero.com/index.html look under the DIY tab.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
So we have told him numerous times not to install a MBC, and every time he says he is going to install a MBC. I say if he doesn't wanna listen, let him do what he wants. Don't ask for opinions if you aren't going to listen to them.

Like everyone said, restore the car to original condition. Just because your car is "stock" doesn't mean everything is running correctly. Check for boost leaks, start with new vacuum hoses. Get a boost gauge on there and tell us what the boost is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im installing a boost gauge this weeknd and ill c wat boost its running. the the apc boost gauge the highest it has boost is just short of the end of the yellow section if anyone no's how much that is?. the reason i wanted to go mbc because from what ive read on that link that was supplyed is that u need to move relays around in the apc to mod it is this correct?. i dont want to stuff it up so i rather run a mpc that way i no wat im doing and it alot simpler.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts