Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I finished brushing about a foot of snow off my car and I went to start it, put the key in the ignition and I can't turn it. It won't budge. What is the problem?! Help!? I did park slightly higher on the right side tires since there was snow there, so my car is leaning right to left with ice now under the right tires. I have a feeling it's something to do with the steering column / wheel frozen in place. What can I do?

·
Registered
352 Posts
not to put you down but make sure you put in the key securely and correctly.....i've had it where my key goes in but will not turn, taking it out and putting it back in does the trick

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i would get all the snow off, push it out into the street or another spot and try again....

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Is your ignition frozen, try some antifreeze spray in your ingition.

Its the simpliest thing that alway go wrong.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Only a foot of snow, Rob? We get that in August! :lol:

Clear out the wheel wells, and a little from each side of the wheels, and gently turn the key while jiggling the wheel slightly from side to side...

This has happened to me when I've parked with the wheels cut to one side.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Rob, I know exactly what the problem is.

Sell your rims to me, and let it sit on blocks until it gets warmer, then it should work fine. Of course you won't be able to drive it, but hey with one problem comes another ;)

:lol: J/K

Did you get it fixed yet?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey that sounds like it just might work! Damn why didn't I think of that. When you coming to pick em up, I got her sitting on concrete blocks now :lol:

I still couldn't get it to start. I even jacked the car up in the rear in an attempt to clear some of the ice out beneath the tire but no luck. The brakes seem to be frozen also, I can't push down on the brake pedal :shock: I might go and buy some anti-freeze key spray stuff to see if it's just stuck, but this has never happened before in colder weather. I popped the hood (well pried it open) to see if there was any damage to the steering column or anything and everything looked fine. But it's impossible to try and turn the key! :cry:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
u should b able to shift it into neutral with your offt on the brake and no key... i believe... otherwise get that lock antifreeze stuff and try it... thats really weird

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Lock antifreeze or if you can run a hairdryer outside, you could use that on the brakes and ignition. Ice formed on the shifter linkage maybe? Just spitballing...

·
Registered
352 Posts
The brakes seem to be frozen also
the brakes are in a state of no movement when the key is out of the ignition, on my 9-3 if the car is not on, you cannot push down on the brake pedal....it might be a saab safety feature

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I GOT IT STARTED! Yeah I just went over to K-mart and bought a small can of that de-icer stuff. Sprayed it in there and waited a few minutes, started up like a charm :D Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this sooner Rob, been studying for damn finals :evil: . I always have to keep lock de-icer with me cause my car does it every winter.

Kyle

·
Registered
51 Posts
The same thing happened to me with my old Mercedes at age 22.
The key would not turn' but after 20 or more applications of graphite and cleaner, she was OK, and still is.
The use of a lock-deicer is good, necessity for all cars and the home..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts