Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this site, looks great, I like the easy-going attitude here. I do browse other sites too, you may have seen some of my posts.

I'm originally from Singapore, but have been living in Thailand for the past 15 years :D and am driving a basically stock 1994 900 SE turbo with just some DIY mods (3" intake with K&N, no IC silencer and the TB transition casting mod). I'm more interested in the handling mods (like the MP performance steering brace clamp and the SAS swaybar) for now. The only problem is that shipping is normally more than the part :( .

Hope the pic shows okay.

Vincent

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Awesome - WELCOME to the site. Always glad to see Saab folk from other parts of the globe. Nice looking Saab too - hope you like it and us here. Enjoy yourself!

·
Administrator
668 Posts
WOW! nice to have you here. I dident know we reached that far :) thats a nice looking car, enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I managed to get one of the very few cars with a manual gearbox. Absolutely love it. Most of the other SAABs her are automatics. Guess you can't blame the people if you consider what traffic is like in Bangkok. It's great for interprovincial driving, though. Lots of nice places to visit.

The dealership is very supportive, and they even have a SAAB club here. This is their website, unfortunately a lot of it is not in English...

http://www.saab-scot.com/

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Welcome to the site 8) I'm glad to see we've reached all around the globe!! I really like that color your Saab is...I've never seen on before in that color. Well enjoy your stay, and tell others about us.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i too like that color, and wow, bangkok, that's like, so far away from us, and i didn't even know they spoke english over there, but hey! glad you're here!

there is a joke in america, where you go up to someone, and you ask them if they know the capital of thailand, and when they say no, you say bangkok really loud and hit them in the nuts, it's kinda funny.

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Please excuse Saabguy (Justin)....he's pretty odd. We've learned to ignore him :lol: :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i know everyone ignores, me, but i still post anyway, i'm sure the people that have met me would say i'm a little less odd than i appear to be online

(someone please back me up)

~justin

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off - it's a standard SAAB colour, Scarabe Green.

Yes, Bangkok does have a bit of a reputation. Some of it deserved, a lot of it not. The entertainment places cater for whatever you would care for, prices from reasonable to out-of-sight. Ther are good jazz places, world class restaurants that cater for any taste you would like - German, Italian, Chinese, Indian - name it and you probably would find it. Quite a few English-style pubs as well.

Many of the locals do speak English, as quite a few have furthered their education abroad. There are many multi-national companies with operations in Thailand - Ford builds the Ranger trucks here, I believe GM have a big presence as well. As do the Japanese manufacturers.

Nightlife? Well, at 2 - 3 bucks for a small beer, you can sit at one of the go-go bars and smile :mrgreen: at the girls dancing on the stage. Then, saabguy, they come and sit next to you, give you a nice, demure smile :) and then whisper "BANGKOK!" :shock: in your ear .. Oops! Forgot the one on the right... :shock: :shock: ..... :twisted:

Just pulling your leg.... :roll: :shock: :roll: ...but it's not far from the truth.

There's a lot of nice countryside to explore with the SAAB, nice beaches, they now have a jazz festival at Hua Hin, a seaside resort about two hour's drive South of Bangkok. There's a temple about an hour and a half out up North where bats have taken up residence, it's amazing to watch at dusk. The handicraft places in Chiangmai, 10 hours North of Bangkok, are also something else. Or the rocket festival in the Northeast, where everyone is watching in anticipation to see if that 20 foot dragon-shaped thing is actually going to get into the sky. Or the biggest, longest wet t-shirt festival ever - three days of the Songkran (Thai New Year) festival 8)

Sorry if it's a bit long, but there's a lot more to this country than the nightlife. You'll need to check out the :arrow: nanapong.com forums for that.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Hey, I don't mean to bust your bubble....but that color isn't Scarabe Green. That looks to be more bluish than the stock Scarabe Green. Tweek's car is Scarabe shown here, which is similar to hunter green:

Did you buy the car that color, or did you have it repainted? Im asking because alot of your trim peices are painted , like your door handles, mirrors, right below the front windshield, and bumper which isn't stock.

Nonetheless it looks good 8)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the car like that, maybe I should try taking and posting another picture. The car is in 'SE' trim, I got the SID2 with a wood-grain dash and door sills, standard airconditioning (not ACC), manual adjustable leather seats, cruise control and the 6-CD changer in the boot.
The 2-door hatchback with the n/a engine is called the 'Draken' and the one with the turbo is called the 'Super Draken'. I understand that in some markets SAAB did provide a slightly different trim level. But yes, I've noticed the 'S' models do not have the painted mirrors and the rear spoiler.
The only addition that I know of is the negative ion generator on the back parcel shelf, and that is wired through an additional (SAAB) switch on the dash. Oh, and the heater core has been removed.

The car registration book states the colour as 'Scarabe Green', but I'll check the VIN code against the breakdown in the owner's manual. There are quite a few other SAABs in this colour, I've only seen one or two in the darker green.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Hmmm...thats really interesting.

Wait...hold up...."Negative Ion Generator"? :shock: Thats definately not something thats available here in the US...and I don't believe in Europe either. In fact what is it?

·
Administrator
254 Posts
If he has a flux capacitor I am so jealous!!! :p

Seriously though, what is a "negative ion generator"?

Kyle

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
Hmmm...thats really interesting.

Wait...hold up...."Negative Ion Generator"? :shock: Thats definately not something thats available here in the US...and I don't believe in Europe either. In fact what is it?
Is that like one of those air neutralizer, smoke/odor eater things, that makes "healthier air"?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup. Also known as an ionizer, it generates negative ions and is supposed to improve passenger comfort levels. . This particular one also has a built-in charcoal/ particulate filter and is supposed to clean the air in the passenger compartment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts