Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1995 9k with 110k miles on it. This problem started periodically and not every time. Say I put a decent amount of pressure on the gas. The engine revs up to almost redline, but the car will not respond with more speed. It is like the car is in neutral.

The only way I can get it to go is to ease the pedal. Any ideas?

Also, this next thing has happened 3x. There is a heavy thud when under acceleration (when the above problem is not there). Any ideas on that one?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
When you called me I thought you said it would rev up fine in neutral - but in gear under a load it would not go past 3,000 RPM - like hitting a wall. Which was making me believe Fuel Pump or Pressure Regulator fault - does the car over-rev in gear under a load and not move now? This does sound like a bad clutch if that is what it's doing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you called me I thought you said it would rev up fine in neutral - but in gear under a load it would not go past 3,000 RPM - like hitting a wall. Which was making me believe Fuel Pump or Pressure Regulator fault - does the car over-rev in gear under a load and not move now? This does sound like a bad clutch if that is what it's doing.
iirc i didn't call you. lol. it is a manual.

Say im in a gear and i wanna pass someone. If i hit the pedal, it over revs and won't respond. If i ease the pedal, then it accelerates just fine.

I am not too hard on this saab, so why would the clutch go out this soon? My family bought it knew in 95, and my parents babied it. famous words eh?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Sounds exactly like a clutch.

The clutch plate is a wear item. Over time, even if its babied, it will eventually bite the dust. 110K miles seems like it had a good life.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok been doing a lot of reading about the clutch and options for replacement.

what else should i do while i'm in there besides getting a clutch kit?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Rear main seal, resurface flywheel, probably new pressure plate. Maybe some axle seals too.
sure - just total the car why don't you! lol it only has 110K!!!

Get the flywheel lightened - sounds like if you find a good shop to do it you can go from 21lbs to 14! Major gain there.

You want to replace the entire clutch KIT - ie. disc, pressure plate and replace the throwout bearings if not in the kit. Inspect the slave cylinder - not a bad idea to replace with OE quality since trans will be out.

Unless oil leaks from engine - no need to do the rear main seal.... they rarely leak on 9000's from what I've seen.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Check your shift linkage while it's out.

Easier to drain/fill the gearbox while it's out of the car. (8mm hex)

If you have extra $$$ order the poly trans mount from Powerflex (or whoever else sells it).

Lots of new grease for inner c/v joint, intermediate shaft, and hair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.