Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am sick and tired of 1. having a cold butt when driving because that side doesnt work and 2. having a cold butt after 5 minutes when the stupid thermostat in the passenger seat decides to turn off the heating, if I want the heat on I want it ON not controlled by some idiotic thermostat that says "no your warm enough". Soooooooo since I have to fix the drivers seat is it possible to leave the thermostat out of the circuit?? And dont tell me it needs to be there, alot of US cars I have been in (GMC Sierra etc) all stay on until you turn them off or they time out, thats what the stupid Saab/Opel(GM/Chevy)/Iveco/Isuzu dealer here told me.

Oh and yes I get power to the seat, checked that already.

·
Registered
358 Posts
They all have thermostats. If they didn't, they'd just get hotter and hotter until they burned themselves, the upholstery, and your butt! My parents' Pontiac and Smart Car both use thermostats. You can feel when they turn off and when they turn back on. Saab sells just the thermostat if you think yours is malfunctioning, or you can just be rid of the unreliable factory seat heaters and put something better in there. I put in some H3 dual temperature seat heater kits from HeatedSeatKits.com - The Future is Warm in my 900. They use carbon fiber elements instead of copper wires, so they're more flexible and won't break like the factory ones, and the lower element doesn't go over the side bolsters, so they don't get flexed nearly as much. They work very well. I tied up all of the wiring underneath the seat and mounted the dual temperature switch in the plastic trim on the outside of each seat. I just wired them right into the factory wiring, so the dashboard switches will still turn the seat heaters on and off.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh ok, well I guess the thermostat is busted then cause it will come on get warm then go off for 20 mins or longer then come back on for a little bit again then go off......annoying. How hard is it to tear apart the seats? Would it be easier to just buy some nice leather ones off ebay with working heated seats (I wanted leather seats but car came with cloth :( )? I would consider that kit from the web page you posted but I would have to pay $40 additional shipping then tax on it when it gets here :(

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Jeremy, I'm about to do the same thing. Why did you go for the H3 over the Innovative Heat 2? I can;t find anything saying the H3 is actually a carbon fiber element.

Also it says use your credit card securely below but its not a secure webpage and that bothers me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I went with them because I got a good deal on a brand new kit on eBay, and then got a second kit for Christmas. You're right that they don't mention that they're carbon fiber, but they are. You can practically roll the element up in a ball, unlike the copper wire types.

I just looked at their website, and it's interesting that it's an https site, but doesn't have the usual icon that comes up in Firefox when it's secure. Firefox says that the site is only partially secure. Amazon has a seat heater kit called the WarmSeats Seat Heater for $75.00 that looks like the same one. I probably should've looked around a little bit more before having my parents spend $100 on one of those!

·
Registered
358 Posts
How hard is it to tear apart the seats?
It's not too bad if you take your time. I rushed it a little bit last summer when I repaired the original heater element and messed some things up that took me a lot of time to repair when I decided to do it right. Here are the basic steps for the bottoms:

Remove the outer plastic trim. There are two Torx screws on the bottom and one that goes in through the side, up near the front of the seat. A long extension on a screwdriver or ratchet helps. It also makes it easier to get your hand in there if you move the memory unit out of the way.

Unclip the dark gray fabric from the bottom of the seat and unplug the heating element.

Pull down on the sides and the front of the upholstery to release the upholstery from the metal clips on the seat frame. You have to pull down fairly hard, and it may help to try to bend the clips out slightly with a screwdriver behind the upholstery. Stick it in there and lever the clips out a little bit.

Once the upholstery is unclipped, you should be able to lift the upholstered foam off of the seat.

There are three metal rods that are stitched into the upholstery and hog tied to the foam. Each rod has two hog rings. The rods run around the front and sides of the square section of the seat in the middle. Pull the foam out from underneath the upholstery until a side or the front is free enough to lift up so you can see the hog rings. Clip them with some side-cutters, wire cutters, or whatever you have.

When the hog rings are all clipped, the upholstery will lift right off of the foam.

I just laid the new heating element over the old one. I can't feel it at all through the upholstery. I used cable ties instead of hog rings since I could attach them loosely and then pull them tight once they were all attached.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not too bad if you take your time. I rushed it a little bit last summer when I repaired the original heater element and messed some things up that took me a lot of time to repair when I decided to do it right. Here are the basic steps for the bottoms:

Remove the outer plastic trim. There are two Torx screws on the bottom and one that goes in through the side, up near the front of the seat. A long extension on a screwdriver or ratchet helps. It also makes it easier to get your hand in there if you move the memory unit out of the way.

Unclip the dark gray fabric from the bottom of the seat and unplug the heating element.

Pull down on the sides and the front of the upholstery to release the upholstery from the metal clips on the seat frame. You have to pull down fairly hard, and it may help to try to bend the clips out slightly with a screwdriver behind the upholstery. Stick it in there and lever the clips out a little bit.

Once the upholstery is unclipped, you should be able to lift the upholstered foam off of the seat.

There are three metal rods that are stitched into the upholstery and hog tied to the foam. Each rod has two hog rings. The rods run around the front and sides of the square section of the seat in the middle. Pull the foam out from underneath the upholstery until a side or the front is free enough to lift up so you can see the hog rings. Clip them with some side-cutters, wire cutters, or whatever you have.

When the hog rings are all clipped, the upholstery will lift right off of the foam.

I just laid the new heating element over the old one. I can't feel it at all through the upholstery. I used cable ties instead of hog rings since I could attach them loosely and then pull them tight once they were all attached.
Well I think mine will be easier than yours haha, I dont have electric seats, manual only and since I had to remove the seats before to repair all my rust holes I have the proper length torx to remove the bolts :D My seats have no gray fabric underneath, you can see the springs as it is now. Ok will be looking into this today since its warm enough outside to not freeze in 30 mins LOL. :D :D Well after I tow a dead Fiat Panda with it today for a friend hahaha. You guys in the US would crap bricks if you saw what we tow with these cars, I dont like it but trucks are just too big for here :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts