Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search and didn't find anything, looking for a 94-95 9000 headliner and trim replacement howto? Also looking for howto for the front pillers connected to the dash and the ones around the speakers.Yea I could figure it out, but would rather do it right.

PS: Looking for a light grey/white headliner for a 9000.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
1. The A-pillars just pull off, there are 3 plastic tabs under there that will release with a little force toward the center of the car. Same with the rear pillars, although you have to unclip the seatbelt surrounds and pull them through the hole to get it off.
2.The speaker grilles have a torx screw on the side of the dash just inside the door frame.

As far as the headliner goes, DON'T TRY TO DO IT ALONE!! I broke two in half in the process of reupholstering mine. It is very flimsy, so make sure you have plenty of support for when it drops out.
1. Unclip the dome light, and unscrew the sun visors. The visors have a wire that runs for a few inches under the headliner to a clip connection, so just pull on it until you can unclip the wires, don't cut them (ask me how I know).
1. Make sure you are supporting the front of the headliner, then pull the rubber molding from around the lip of the sunroof.
3. Finally, there are two little oval plugs on the back of the headliner over the back seat that are always tricky. Best way I found is to push on them (up into the roof) then rotate them 90-degrees and pull them out. They break pretty easily, so try to apply pressure toward the middle of the tabs where they're strongest, instead of the long ends.
4. Make sure your hatch and all the doors are open. Then, have 2 people supporting the headliner from the front and back seats, while you go around and pull the trim around the doors, hatch, etc. away from the headliner. The trickiest part to release is around the B-pillar, just keep tugging it and it'll come out, there shouldn't be any damage that you won't be able to hide when you put it back in.

That should be it. Replacement is pretty straightforward once you've seen how it comes out.

Are you reupholstering or just replacing? Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
If you are directly replacing just be careful not to bend it - the job CAN be done by yourself - but help is usually a good thing. I replaced the headliner in my 87 I think by myself - I have to revisit this task soon as my 86' needs a headliner. I believe the headrests on the seats will help you a lot in supporting it as you go too.

I have to go pick one up - I know were two are right now, and now that I have my truck fixed I can go get it!

I believe they were all white - just get dirty with age and apear darker. Having no a/c really gets them dirty fast FYI :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hah...yeah the headliner jobs...SUCKS ! :) I used the headliner kit from one of the Saab sites...cant remember which one...anyway that was enough material to do the headliner and the pilliars...but not the back ones...I think the kit was around 100 dollars...totally worth the money ! I would buy 2 kits and you can do the pilliars and the door panels.

Update found it cheaper...this is the same stuff I used
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/bmw-jaguar-volvo-audi-saab-headliner-kit-p-9.html

What you need
Headliner Kit for Saab 9000
3M Spray Glue Super 77
A shoe brush to clean the old foam crap off the headliner (get it all off or the new liner wont stick)
Duct tape to repair the tears in the headliner board (yes it will happen)...If you can break the headliner in 2 and tape it back together, but try to do it all in one piece.
Simple Green to clean all the handles etc...they are usually super dirty on the backsides
The sunroof sucks...what I did was well get mad and tear the inside panel right out of the car..who needs that when you have tinted glass (maybe not your idea though...LOL)
Important...DONT FORGET TO TAPE THE LIGHT WIRES WERE YOU CAN PULL THEM BACK THROUGH...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts