Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking over at cardomain.com and noticed this car...

How would I go about changing my headlights to be clear like this? And are there any laws against or limiting this...?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
um... headlights normally look like this.... do you mean the side markers/corners? You can buy em like that - or some ppl make em themselves - search pasts posts/ the how-to section. Should be there... it's completely legal as long as you have amber color bulbs.

·
Registered
432 Posts
not exactly.. its required to have a reflector there.. thats why the Ecode ones are like that.. some people remove the reflector then there are some people who just buy them.. i bought mine.. www.genuinesaab.com sells them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BurnsSide42 said:
um... headlights normally look like this.... do you mean the side markers/corners? You can buy em like that - or some ppl make em themselves - search pasts posts/ the how-to section. Should be there... it's completely legal as long as you have amber color bulbs.
I meant the yellow blinker on the edges of the headlights.. not the actual headlights.. my bad

·
Registered
461 Posts
I am soooooo breaking the law then cause the only lights that are amber are my turn signals and the light that sits behind the reflector is dark blue.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i tried to do that on my 9-3 a million times but finally said F it

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
it;s not hard to do, you just need to be patient and careful. If you can't get the reflectors out, maybe try using a little heat (hairdryer?) to soften the glue that holds them in place????

If you want a nice look to go with the clear corners, try silvervisions (look silver, light up amber) or silverstar signal lights. (look irredescent and light up amber. ) I have the silverstars and depending on what angle you see them from sometimes they look clear, othertimes they look blueish, other times they look irredescent.

I checked everywhere for regulations about the reflectors. AMBER/ORANGE reflectors were not specifically mentioned in my state's laws (NY) only amber turn signals. However, i found out that having amber REFLECTORS is a FEDERAL regulation. But the state inspections have not said anything about it to me yet, and i have yet to hear of anyone getting a ticket for it. You are more likely to get a ticket for having turn signals that light up green or blue or red or some ricey color. :wink:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Whitesummer aerolike and anyone else who is looking to change the headlights to clear without buying new ones for like 225$. Go back into the 9-5 forum where this topib is listed. If you go down you will see the post saying something like Clear Side markers or something like that. I have posted there a tutorial of how I did it. It didn't take me more then 45 minutes. So you can say F it and spend money or just use some free time to get them out. It is not hard just time consuming. Use your brain when you are doing it to. Try not to scratch the inside and remember to use the screwdriver as a type of brace/lever. ALso remember what the word leverage means. Its hard at first and gets easier trust me on this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Osiris said:
Whitesummer aerolike and anyone else who is looking to change the headlights to clear without buying new ones for like 225$.
Thats way to much money.. i ordered mine through the dealer.. and i only paid $160 Canadian!
The 9-5 corner lenses are different from the 9-3's so it is nearly impossible to chip it out with anything.. a friend of mine tried and he cracked the entire thing and had to buy the clear ones anywase.. i think the best thing to do is to just order them up through hte dealership.. make sure they are clear tho when u get them.. make it VERYYY clear..because they will jsut be lazy and order u the wrong ones in. anywase. good luck. take a look at mine on my website..
:)

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Mr.Dobsi said:
Where can you get the silvervision turnsignals from?!
you can order them directly from sylvania through their online performance lighting shop (along with silvertsar headlights and foglights) or try your local auto store. I usually see them at autozone and advance auto, and pep boys. i think even Wally World carries them (Walmart)

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
it's about $22 USD for a pair of silverstar turn signals. I have had mine in for over a year now, front and rears. and the fronts are always lit (daytime running light/parking light) so they seem to last pretty long. much longer than the headlights :roll:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mr DObsi your freind did it all wrong then cause I just used a flat head and broke the reflector into pieces then pulled them out. No orange reflector left and no broken headlight :D . It just takes patience and a plan. If someone is worried that they can't do it without hurting the lights then go ahead and order the parts, but if you are cheap and a poor college student like myslef I suggest the alternative.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ANother thing you have to be conscious about with headlights is many of those hyper white/ blue bulbs use the same wattage but the bulb tempurature is hotter then the regular bulb. This will cause the sockets (the part that connects the lightbulb to the wiring) to burn. Yes burn.... not get hot.... but actually start to turn black from burning carbon. Much like how wood turns black when you burn it. HOw do i know this? Because I have hyper whites for my headlights and after having my car on for just awhile I can open the hood and get the slightest wiff of the socket burning. No granted I have had them in for a good 2-3 months and no problems but the sockets are not carried by AUtozone, Napa AUtoparts, or Checker. I would have to special order them. Pep boys might have them but I'm not so sure.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
hey another tip is to wrap the end on the screwdriver with some masking tape or something to make it less "sharp" and help avoid scratching the lens... :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Man, to get that orange reflector out of the turn signal assembly is impossible! I tried it on a spare set I had and almost cracked the whole thing. Its glued like crazy and the blow dryer didn't do much. Your better off just buying them off the dealership or coping them off a crashed Saab;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: You lack the concentration young grasshopper. Well at least you tried. Best to stop if you are going to crack the light.

·
User
9,193 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
um... headlights normally look like this....
HAHAHA, I nearly died laughing hahaha lol... :lol: :lol: :p :lol: :D :wink: :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts