Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so when i bought this car way back in April, only the high beams worked. SInce then I "fixed" it. Replaced the Stalk, and the Main Headlight Relay and i thought the Highbeam one too. As well as many fuses. Well, tonight i got in my car, started her up and turn the lights "on" . . . . but only the side/corner markers were lit! Instantly i was like, what the f*ck. Not again... well, the highs worked, and both would worth if left on low beam + pulled highs. The High Beam switch wasn't clickin into lock to stay on themselves. So i wedged two pennies behind the highbeam lever to hold them on, put the light switch into parking light option and drove home. After fidlin with the switch more once home, it finally was acting normal! Happy as I am, i am not very pleased that i had to do this. Does this sound like the stalk switch is bad again? I used a used part anyways. If it is, fine, easy enough fix. Has anyone else heard of this problem before, or know if it's anything else i need to check? Thanks! Ugh... 9000 more problems, 9000 more parts needed to fix it :lol: Damn gremlins....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i am 90% positive it's the switch stalk, I grabed one off DeLorean today that felt like it worked, so as soon as I have a chance I'll swap it in. Now.. another issue i have is the classic DIM 9000 headlights. The lens are clean, the reflectors are fine, the bulbs are newish. What could cause them to be so dim? It's almost a yellowish light, where it should be more white. Could there be a bad ground issue? where would I look?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi BS42, I had similar problems on my '87 and I solved them installing relays on high beams. It worked well, if you don't know how to do it just ask.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i fixed them awhile ago, thanks. I just need to make them normal bright now. I just drive around with High Beams on all the time at night cause they are as bright as the low's should be. Only have had 1 car (an SUV none the less) flash his lights at me in 4 weeks+ of driving like this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh, I see. The problem is larger than I though.

Anyway, if the voltage is getting to the bulbs right (the relay should assure this (try to put a direct wire between the positive on the battery and the pin of the bulb, to see if things change: if so, the relay is bad or badly fitted)), if the bulbs are new, and the exterior lenses are in good shape, then it can only be the inner reflective surface. I heard people that removed the headlight form the car, filled it with water, some sand and whatever through the bulb hole, and, shacking the whole headlight, cleanig them, but I didn't ever do it personally.

Try the test of the wire between the battery and the bulb, if there's any change in brightness then the fault you're looking for is electrical, and can be restored with well installed relays.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To clean the reflector inside you swish vinegar around inside it, not sand... Also, what it is I think it from years of driving in New Jersey and having the lights pelted by pieces of Sand over the years making them like my Windshield - Pittied. I plan to try and lightly sand the len's to see if that helps, if not just not sure how to go about it next. Thanks again for your thoughts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
you are able to buy a buffing compount to restore the outside of a lens for cars dont try sanding it you will not be happy to see what it does about the buffing compound i hear it works really well but you would have to ask auto stores cause it might be hard to find

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok - so they are on Lamp Controller #4ish - HighBeam Relay #2ish - maybe 3. Stalk #4ish... They were working fine for about a week as they should - high beams too, then the high beams went back to not staying on - so I know that to be a relay issue. Then the normal brights (driving lights) decided to stop working AGAIN!! I hear the relay clicking - but no beams turn on, and the highs still only flash... the stalk i KNOW is good - so what the hell is up with the wiring?! I think tomorrow I am going to go see my new Boss and get him to sit down with me and go over the harness... this is just ridiculous. How is it that something could be this bad?! And Rhich - you say this has never been an isue for you at all... you must not drive at night. I've talked to many other 9000 owners in the past and they all seem to have MANY varriations of this problem - so either Rhich you've been real real lucky - or ya just don't take those cars out at night :p :lol: WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY SAAB?!!!! Damn French...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts