Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a bit of searching the forums but couldnt find what i was lookin for. I think that the dimmer switch is stuck on high and low at the same time and makes my headlights shut off sometimes. Not always but it is very anoying to be driving then all of a sudden you have no lights haha. i was thinking i could just wire it up to always low beams for the next week or so till i can get a dimmer switch. But i cant find any info on the net about the headlight wiring diagram. Has anybody had this issue before?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Huh? Dimmer switch is for DASH lights... Headlight Switch is for Headlights - Multi-function switch commands high beams. All goes through the relay.

I would suspect fault in one of the 3 items I have mentioned - not your suspected dimmer switch.

My late 87' 9000 had headlight problems where I needed a pair of pennies jammed behind the highbeam lever to keep the lights on - multifuction switch was bad. melted and all.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a 93. i guess i was referring to the wrong switch, i suspect its the multi-function switch. but blinkers work flawlessly. is it difficult to replace if it is bad?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thank you for the prompt replies, and i will test the relay, is this a special relay or just like a normal average relay?

*edit i posted right before i looked around and i answered my own question.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yeah i picked one up for 10 bucks, the relay was the issue, for about a week my lights would just decide to shut off, although highs would still work so i didn't die. In a pinch a good whack on the relay usually will bring them back to life in a pinch. Its the big relay, about double size of a normal one, rectangular. Red or orange, i forget.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i picked up a "new" relay from the junk yard and the problem seems to have gone away. will know better the more time i drive at night. found a yard thats close to my house has 2 97 9ks. pretty excited that i will be able to get parts now haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar issue with a USA 1997 9000CS:
1) With F31 (DRL) installed high beams will operate for a few minutes in the light switch = 'head' position, then no lights. Switch to 'park' position the low beams will work, but the H/L beams switch won't latch.
2) With F31 (DRL) removed, then no headlights unless at all H/L beam switch is held.

While I'm waiting for the 'headlight relay' to arrive, I have a question: In the engine compartment box, just right of the 'headlight relay' is a square relay labeled 'Lamp Control'. However, I can't find a relay by that name on my copy of the wiring diagrams. Is it the 'Low beam relay', DRL relay, or 'Filament monitor' relay'?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a similar issue with a USA 1997 9000CS:
1) With F31 (DRL) installed high beams will operate for a few minutes in the light switch = 'head' position, then no lights. Switch to 'park' position the low beams will work, but the H/L beams switch won't latch.
2) With F31 (DRL) removed, then no headlights unless at all H/L beam switch is held.

While I'm waiting for the 'headlight relay' to arrive, I have a question: In the engine compartment box, just right of the 'headlight relay' is a square relay labeled 'Lamp Control'. However, I can't find a relay by that name on my copy of the wiring diagrams. Is it the 'Low beam relay', DRL relay, or 'Filament monitor' relay'?
The high beam won't function by design in the 'park' position.
In my owners manual the relay to the right of the HL relay is called the "bulb test--pictogram" relay. This would be synonomous with 'filiment monitor'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1997 US imported 9000 CS head light trouble continued:
I removed both the headlight relay and the filament monitor relay, twisted each relay pin a bit and re-installed the relays. All works fine now. I can even remove fuse 31 (DRL) and drive a 'sane' automobile with working light and dimmer (dip) switches.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you end up getting a spare or it happens again, gently pop off the cover and resolder the leads, sometimes you can see the cold solder joints, sometimes you cannot, but worth soldering all of them.

1997 US imported 9000 CS head light trouble continued:
I removed both the headlight relay and the filament monitor relay, twisted each relay pin a bit and re-installed the relays. All works fine now. I can even remove fuse 31 (DRL) and drive a 'sane' automobile with working light and dimmer (dip) switches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.