Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one know which xenon bulbs are the best to buy that don;t constantly burn out, because my headlight bulbs go alomst every 4 months and my fog lights barely last a week.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea this is a tricky problem because NG900s are notorious for blowing out headlights and DEFINATELY fog lights.

Id suggest you just get a set of Sylvania Silverstars because they're cheap yet bright, so if they blow out your not out of much money. You can get them from Walmart, so if they blow within 30days just take them back and get a new set.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thank you, its just such a pain to change the fog lights becasue it is so involved for just a light bulb.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
ok, i got piaa "super xtreme white" lame name i know, but they are really bright, my friend has silverstars in his car, and mine are equally as bright, and my lenses are pitted, and his aren't, and yes, same wattages for us both. also, i know that the silverstars are like 20 bucks or so, for each bulb, which isn't cheap, and they have an ok life, and ced is right about the 30 day warranty, but my piaa bulbs were 55 dollars for the pair, and they have a lifetime warranty, if they ever burn out, bring them back, and you get a new set no questions asked, which is what really sold me over the silverstars.
i've had them for about two months now, and they've had their share of vibrations let me tell you, and they've not blown since, i couldn't be happier with them

~justin

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I am running Silverstars for a little over 6 months now, no problems with them. AWESOME high power white light! Really helps on highways at night where there are no lights or very few. I am very pleased.

A quick tip for ANY bulbs, DON'T TOUCH the glass portion when installing them, or the oils from your hands will cause the bulbs to burn out very quickly, sometimes in the same day! Some clowns on another message board were bashing silverstars because they kept burning out after 10 minutes, and the guy went through like 10 bulbs in 4 weeks. Turns out he was putting his oily paws all over the glass, so it's no surprise. Not a defective bulb, a defective user! :lol:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I've always known to avoid as much contact on the bulb with my fingers, and i knew the reason, but why is it that the oils effect them so much? Just wondering if anyone knows the real reason.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
I've always known to avoid as much contact on the bulb with my fingers, and i knew the reason, but why is it that the oils effect them so much? Just wondering if anyone knows the real reason.
Wherever you touch the bulb, the oils from the sweat on your fingertips (or hand, skin) causes the surface of the bulb to get hotter than areas not touched. This causes the glass to expand slightly larger in the hotter areas than in the cooler areas, which in turn crack the glass and cause the bulb to shatter or create a small crack releasing the gas inside the bulb.

Just like if you have a really hot glass, and you pour really cold water in it....it will crack.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up the silverstar foglights yesterday, and was going to get the headlights but the h4's said for motorcylce use only, is that still ok though becasue that is the size of our bulb?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts