Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is in the off topic section because it does not involve a Saab.

Basically my aunts 1994 toyota camry 2.2l has blown its headgasket. She already acquired a new vehicle and has said that if I fix it I can have it.

Here's some background:

The car has 182K on it and she went to go get an oil change. When they did the oil change, they told her that coolant is mixing with the oil and her car has a blown head gasket.

She drove it for another 20 miles after her oil change before the car didn't want to start anymore. She said the car did not overheat on her, it just didn't want to start when parked out on the street one day. She ended up getting it started and moving it 10 feet to the driveway.

So here's the question - How do I know whether or not the head gasket just needs changing or whether the engine is hydro locked? I know head gasket failure can cause hydro lock, but how long does it take for the engine to get hydro locked (causing internal damage)??

I have heard taking the plugs out and cranking the engine will get the water out if hydro lock has occurred. I basically want to see if this car is salvageable or not?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
You could try that, i'd if it isn't locked, pull the head and reassemble, see what happens, those cars are pretty easy to wrench on. Gaskets cheap, worst case you lose out on some time.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
The fact that the engine still turns over and runs is good.

I'd say if you did a compression test and there was at least some pressure still in the cylinders you'd be good, and wont have blow out pistions/valves.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, wont be able to even get to take a look at it until March 4th, but I'm hoping that it isn't totally a loss. This could be a good chance to get a reliable beater.

It started up when she moved it in the driveway which is good. All I know is that coolant is mixed in with the oil at this point. Don't know how good/bad it could be. Just wanted some opinions on how I should go about diagnosing this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts