Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zach and I pull out of mcdonalds in his 99 vig 163k. Car didn't over heat but blew antifreeze out of the resivor..and had major pressure build up for about five to ten minutes. We think the head gasket is gone..?? Building up pressure on the water side which pressurized the coolant and blew. Were sitting here at the damn gas station waiting for aaa to get here. F our lives.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Perhaps, see if you can get a compression test done.

If its not that, I'm thinking there may be a clog somewhere...a clog of fattening mcdonalds crap in the coolant system....

·
User
9,193 Posts
I don't get it.... the car never over heated. Not even one little bit. The temp gauge was still a little under half. The system was hissing and boiling for well over 10 minutes. I didn't even know it was possible to retain that much pressure for so long. Just got home from getting it towed (first trip on the flatbed for the Viggen). And it was PUKING it up... half of the engine bay is covered in antifreeze and it was even coming out from under the headlight and grille. Never seen such an explosion of antifreeze... especially not when it wasn't over heating. I'm really scratching my head on this one.

Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Hmmm... That is odd.

My first guess would be a HG.

I take it that is why you called. I was on the phone (and still am).

·
7,595 Posts
Coming out from under the headlight? If you are losing coolant in that area, and it's not a hose, radiator endtank failure is all it could be. That is not an uncommon issue, however typically it is a slow leak that will develop into a larger one as time goes on, it's not usually an "all of the sudden"

·
User
9,193 Posts
Coming out from under the headlight? If you are losing coolant in that area, and it's not a hose, radiator endtank failure is all it could be. That is not an uncommon issue, however typically it is a slow leak that will develop into a larger one as time goes on, it's not usually an "all of the sudden"
Nah, coming out from the headlight due to the antifreeze going everywhere lol... It literally looked like a bomb of coolant went off under the hood. It was all coming from the reservoir, nowhere else. I inspected it thoroughly. The amount of steam and coolant coming out of the cap was nothing short of epic... and I've had some catastrophic head gasket failures in my c900's, this took the cake with the mess it made and the amount of pressure built up.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
When my Gt30 9-3 HG went out (2 months after I got it, but hey, that's another story) that's right where I had issues too.

Front passeneger side of the block. Mine was a trickle that got worse over about 2 hours, but I can see it being really bad, really fast.

·
User
9,193 Posts
When my Gt30 9-3 HG went out (2 months after I got it, but hey, that's another story) that's right where I had issues too.

Front passeneger side of the block. Mine was a trickle that got worse over about 2 hours, but I can see it being really bad, really fast.
That's just the thing though, I don't have any trickles of any fluids from the head/block though... oil and coolant were clean, no mixing going on. The only thing I can think of is that the water jackets are getting pressurized due to a crack in the hg. I can't really think of anything else.

I could see if the car was overheating and then caused it to overflow from the reservoir, but the fact that the coolant temp (according to the gauge) was perfect, that's the part I don't understand. Why would it be steaming over and spewing like Mount St. Helens if it wasn't overheating? I don't think the coolant is making it's way into to the cylinders because I don't have any steam at all from the exhaust. Just this strange, extremely high pressurized reservoir.

This problem really has me stumped. :?

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
I did not have any mix either, and it did not overheat. It just ran like crap, and blew a fine mist of coolant all over the place.

Also, how accurate is the temp gauge in the 9-3?

I seem to think it reads in the middle based on a range of temps, not actual temperature. Well, unless you have done some tech2 bizness...and given your range to Carl, this is a possibility.

Or not.

·
User
9,193 Posts
I did not have any mix either, and it did not overheat. It just ran like crap, and blew a fine mist of coolant all over the place.

Also, how accurate is the temp gauge in the 9-3?

I seem to think it reads in the middle based on a range of temps, not actual temperature. Well, unless you have done some tech2 bizness...and given your range to Carl, this is a possibility.

Or not.
Yeah, I'm not sure how accurate the temp gauge is... I was kind of hoping it would be somewhat accurate, otherwise why even bother having one lol. Not sure though. The same thought crossed my mind as well.

I'm hoping John (Poisonbeef) will be coming up tomorrow to lend a hand and help me solve this mystery. I really appreciate the input and advice. I'm so stressed out right now because I have no idea how I'm going to get to and from work until I get all of this situated. :(

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Subaru syndrome. Sounds like you're pushing engine compression into the cooling system. Have that head gone over with a fine tooth comb and planed. Run into this on a few t7 cars and it's tough to see faults with that metal hg. Last one I had needed a head. My cars all came as "unknowns", at least you've got some history with yours

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Well there is another possibility on the keep it simple realm. If the coolant reservoir cap epically failed so the system would loose pressior to keep the fluid from boiling it could just start boiling over until it was no longer hot enough to boil.

Also the temp gauge does indeed just say "normal" as long as it is with in a range of numbers. Even my old GM car would give me a real number and move a bit depending on ambient temp.

Compression test should tell us a lot.

·
Super Moderator
6,735 Posts
It could be the thermostat.

This is what happened to Troy after he bought my NG. It boiled over like crazy, and when he pulled the thermostat out it stuck closed in boiling water.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It could be the thermostat.

This is what happened to Troy after he bought my NG. It boiled over like crazy, and when he pulled the thermostat out it stuck closed in boiling water.
Yup true story. Opened the coolant res. and it boiled over / exploded everywhere. My car's temp gauge went up though, but it took a lot to get it to go up passed normal temp, but once it does it goes up very fast.

·
Super Moderator
10,065 Posts
Not coming out of the expansion tank at all is it? I had one a few months ago - the coolant cap wasn't holding pressure correctly and it was just pouring coolant from the cap ont the expansion tank. A good cap and the problem has been solved since. If the cap doesn't vent properly or hold pressure you will get a leak @ the expansion tank.

On our 9-5 I have a warped head causing the cooling system to have excessive pressure and holding that pressure infinitly. Occasionally the level get's pushed down so low it will kick the low coolant msg on an the car will run like crap and have no boost. If you relieve the pressure the car drives fine for a few weeks and then repeats. I plan on replacing the head soon - it's rather annoying if you want to pull out in front of someone and then it just has no power and doesn't move..... On the plus side the car does not run hot or too cold - always shows dead center on the temp gauge.

·
User
9,193 Posts
Not coming out of the expansion tank at all is it? I had one a few months ago - the coolant cap wasn't holding pressure correctly and it was just pouring coolant from the cap ont the expansion tank. A good cap and the problem has been solved since. If the cap doesn't vent properly or hold pressure you will get a leak @ the expansion tank.

On our 9-5 I have a warped head causing the cooling system to have excessive pressure and holding that pressure infinitly. Occasionally the level get's pushed down so low it will kick the low coolant msg on an the car will run like crap and have no boost. If you relieve the pressure the car drives fine for a few weeks and then repeats. I plan on replacing the head soon - it's rather annoying if you want to pull out in front of someone and then it just has no power and doesn't move..... On the plus side the car does not run hot or too cold - always shows dead center on the temp gauge.
Yes, it was coming from the expansion tank (I call it a reservoir). Anyways, I am going to fill it up with some water and check to see if it bubbles right away or if it takes a while to boil over like last night. I am honestly leaning more towards a thermostat at this point. I also talked to my cousin (the saab master tech) and he said he thinks it sounds more like a thermostat as well. We shall see.

John, you still coming up today? Beer and pizza on me.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
seriks1 said:
Subaru syndrome. Sounds like you're pushing engine compression into the cooling system.
I'm with stupid.
I'm with stupid.
Most (actually, now that I think about it, all) of the B2x4/B2x5 head gasket failures that I have seen blow pressure into the cooling system.

Once the engine is completely cooled down top off the cooling system, but leave the expansion tank cap off. Start the engine. If you get a fountain out the tank and smoke out the tailpipe (you usually get smoke) it's usually the head gasket, that's exactly what my Viggen did when I bought it. When I pulled the head off it was warped enough to see by eye with a machinist's rule laid diagonally across the mating surface.

You should also have wet on the plugs or moisture collected down on top of the piston(s) in the bad cylinder if you let it sit with fluid in it, it should weep into the chambers if you let it sit overnight.

If you want to rule out some kind of blockage in the t-stat / water pump, just pull the serp. belt off the main pulley and fire the engine up for a minute so the water pump doesn't spin. If you still get a fountain, pull out your E-Torx bits....

Best,
Drew

·
User
9,193 Posts
Ok, so I just filled the tank with some water and started it up... No bubbling reservoir. Yay! Also, I let it run for about 10 minutes, and nothing... then all of the sudden it was like a volcano again. I shut it off before it started to steam and crap. Again, the temp gauge never went above half. I am really thinking this isn't my hg, but instead a thermostat as others have mentioned. I really, REALLY hope that this is the case.

Also, not even a hint of steam out of the tailpipe.

But I don't know why everyone keeps saying, "I'm with stupid" to the guy who mentioned the engines compression pressurizing the water jackets. It happens.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.