Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently (for the past few months), I've been having my low coolant message on my SID come up, and have been topping it off since. it occurs every week or so, depending on how much i drive it. it's a 97 900s with almost 140k on it. What would you suspect it might be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The 2 most common places for a leak (in my experience) are the heater hose right off the head, and the waterpump. The waterpump is tricky to spot, but slack the belt and see if there's any wobble from the pulley

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Never noticed any coolant on the ground. And I don't think there is any coolant in the oil; however, how can i check if there's coolant in the oil?
Scratch the coolant in the oil theory. I just reread your post and it definitely cant be that sorry.

Have you looked around in the engine bay for small leaks? Check around the water pump, all the hoses etc, usually you can tell if you have a slow leak somewhere just by looking around for dried up coolant.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I vote water pump too if you're not seeing where it goes. Maybe try to leave a sheet of cardboard on the ground under it when you park at home? Or if your parking area is a clean surface, look for spots of coolant. Otherwise, you're going to have to look at every possible hose/connection and check the water pump. My car leaked a little coolant from the heater hose that's behind the block, and I never saw anything until it finally blew out one hot day. Then I really saw the leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the replies! I haven't had time to look at it this past day, but will tomorrow.
Now that you mentioned a belt, my serpintine belt (I'm guessing that's the belt you're talking about) broke a month or so ago while I was on my way to get it replaced. But if I can recall correctly, I believe I was having coolant trouble before that.

I don't really know where the water pump is, I'm not (yet) very savvy with cars. Again, Thank you for the replies, something I wanna do is get better with cars and learn my way around and be able to do stuff myself ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eEuroparts.com - Diagram Image

It's #18 and just follow the line and that's where it's located. If it's leaking, you should see it dripping under your left headlight(looking at it from the front). But don't put your head under there because you'll end up getting it in your eye like i did =P
so it's the black object (in the attached image) directly right of the coolant (sitting in the car, driver's perspective)?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
The thing with the pulley in between the exhaust manifold and the airbox on the passenger side of the engine, is the Power Steering pump.

Directly below the PS pump is the waterpump.

·
Registered
433 Posts
so it's the black object (in the attached image) directly right of the coolant (sitting in the car, driver's perspective)?
If this pic is your car, are the rubber boots on the wires not pushed on to the distributor cap?
And as trivial as this might seem, I'd try to get most of those leaves, etc from under the windshield so they're not blocking anything or trying to work their way inside.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks
So, if the water pump is okay, i shouldn't see any drops of coolant/antifreeze around it and the belt should be tight with no wobble of the water pump pulley?
Also look for signs of coolant coming out the 'weep hole' on the bottom of water pump (fairly small hole). And you'd need to loosen the belt to check if the pulley/shaft wobble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If this pic is your car, are the rubber boots on the wires not pushed on to the distributor cap?
And as trivial as this might seem, I'd try to get most of those leaves, etc from under the windshield so they're not blocking anything or trying to work their way inside.
yes, it's a pic of my car. they don't push over on to the distributor cap for some reason, i've tried. last summer, my car stopped starting, and we replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, and it's cables (which i don't think are oem), thinking one of those had to be the culprit.. none of that did anything. it ended up being the fuel pump, which we got replaced.

Also look for signs of coolant coming out the 'weep hole' on the bottom of water pump (fairly small hole). And you'd need to loosen the belt to check if the pulley/shaft wobble.
alright, how would you loosen/tighten the belt?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Kinda hard to see where its originating from. Thats something you'd have to take a close look at poke around.

Being in that area I'd say check around the thermostat housing(back of the head), then check the coolant lines around that area.

Though I kinda wanna say head gasket just because its right at the seal there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.