Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may remember the 2000 9-3 I bought early in the summer. I'm having my first hard to solve problem and hoping someone here has a useful tip.

The hatch won't open. It's acting like it's locked - the handle does nothing. Some history: the electronic hatch lock release (operated by the button on the driver's door or the remotes) has never worked for me - you hear the relay under the dash click but nothing happens out back. However, the manual lock (i.e. using the key) has always worked.

Yesterday morning I put some tools in the back, shut the hatch, and drove off. When I reached my destination, I tried to open it, and nothing happened. I never locked the hatch so I don't know if it's locked and the key isn't able to unlock it, or if the handle mechanism is somehow disconnected or dead.

Anyone ever had hatch problems? Can you access the latch from inside the car?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Accessing the latch from inside the car will prove a bit tough, I think, since you'll have to pull off the interior trim panels and some of those are secured, if I'm remembering right, along the bottom of the hatch lid - basically the part that rests flat against the door sill.

EDIT: However, you might be able to get enough of them off to peel it back in place, come to think of it.

I've had goofy things happen with my hatch lock. On occasion, not often, but on occasion, it will unlock by pressing the button on the key head and then relock itself almost immediately. That's annoying. Then there was the one night where I speedily took apart the inside of the back panel (with the hatch lid open) just to find that I'm a moron and the hook was just already in the lock position as I was trying to close the hatch. Just had to flip it back into the "unlocked" mode. Nothing like working harder not smarter....*headdesk*

Do you have the kind of key that has the hatch release button on it? Does that do anything?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You have a 9-3 so just lower the back seat, get in the hatch and pull the emergency lock cable and push the hatch open with your feet :)

Your hatch may simply be frozen in place due to ice on the rubber seal???

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well last night it opened right up. Today it's been working as expected. This is frustrating. I'd like to be able to trust wether or not it'll work. :lol:

FWIW in case anyone else is interested and doesn't know it yet, there's a little cutout in the fabric lining the inside of the hatch behind the lock, so that if it really did get buggered you could poke out the cutout and turn the lock manually from inside the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts