Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming on the freeway from a rest area. I hit the freeway about 80 mph and hit the cruise. A little steering wheel picture and the message "tap brake first" came up in the SID :? So I tapped the brake and set the crusie control. I never seen this message before.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's weird .. the owners manual says that what happened to you "may happen, and if it does, tap the g-d brake already"..

Maybe it's a calibration issue, who knows (still need that smiley shrugging guy!) ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guess you hadn't used the brakes since starting up and trying to set cruise?

It's a safety feature of the cruise control system, you can't set cruise until the system is satisfied the brake pedal switch is working.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes it says that in the manual. The brakes must be tapped first before CC will function.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it is great that the system checks for this. I have never heard of this safety feature in Japanese cars, and I think it should be standard for all cars with cruise control.

Same for the hot air not coming out of the centre vents. It makes sense, as cold air will keep the driver awake and everybody else in the car ALIVE!!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Same for the hot air not coming out of the centre vents. It makes sense, as cold air will keep the driver awake and everybody else in the car ALIVE!!
Gimme a break! :roll:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mickey said:

:D :D :D
My old '90 BMW 735i had this thing.
At the beggining I thought that something was not working right and I asked a mechanic about it.
He told me exactly what Mickey said. :D

It's good to have things like these in the car... :wink:

·
Administrator
668 Posts
yeah i have seen it.... like when i turn off the car while driving so i can reset my ECU after i over boost :oops: when i turn the car back on it says to test break lights.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's good to have things like these in the car...
So, what you guys are saying is that you aren't smart enough to turn the vent off yourself if you feel the heat is making you fall asleep behind the wheel? :roll:

ABS, stability and traction control I understand and appreciate. Having a ACC system that I can't set to not come on every time I turn on the car (that I have to turn off manually) and vents that don't blow hot air, I just can't understand.

I for one, like having a choice.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
pffft! I just wait till i get the adrenaline running, that's what keeps me awake at the wheel. Gotta wait for that drifting to begin, and ya hear those horns blairing, or that gaurd rail real close, that always wakes me up real fast, well for the next 10 minutes of driving anyways.... then i just repeat till i get near my destination :lol: I've talked this over too with a few other ppl (my Tech instructors assistant) he says he does the same thing.... lol works for me and him, how about you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
JNGold said:
It's good to have things like these in the car...
So, what you guys are saying is that you aren't smart enough to turn the vent off yourself if you feel the heat is making you fall asleep behind the wheel? :roll:
It's not that I can't live without all that.......it's just that I like some things to be done without me moving..... :D :D :D
After all,I payed for everything and it's supposed to be a smart car.. :wink:

JNGold said:
ABS, stability and traction control I understand and appreciate. Having a ACC system that I can't set to not come on every time I turn on the car (that I have to turn off manually) and vents that don't blow hot air, I just can't understand.
You can customize the ACC not to come on when you turn on the car.... :wink:
Also if you have it on "auto",you will not miss the heat coming from the front vents.
There is plenty of it all over the interior... :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can customize the ACC not to come on when you turn on the car....
Tried that already and haven't been able to get it to work. :(

It's not that I can't live without all that.......it's just that I like some things to be done without me moving.....
I can understand that. But with this car, you are not even give a choice. Saab has made it that "it" knows best and you don't. Yes, it is minor but surprisingly it can be the "minor" things that you remember when selecting your next car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To tell you the truth,at the begining I hated this thing with the ACC,but later I got used to it so now it doesn't bother me.

I don't remember the exact way how to make it not come on every time you start the car,but I will check and tell you what to do. :D

Just imagine some other cars that the ESP is not turning off.It's these cars that don't give the driver any choices,not the 9-3.
I don't know if you ever tested the reaction of the ESP or the antispin.If you 've done it ,then you know that all of these systems in our cars,give the driver some time to react before they do anything to the car.
I really like it,because I have the oportunity to try and bring the car back to normal,before things become too dificult and then, the car does it by itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't turn off the ACC in my car either. My dealer couldn't either with the Tech 2 or thru the SID.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
8 years, 5 months, 16 days. A new record?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts