Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just wondering, it seems that the stupid retractable antenna snapping off is a common problem for all of us. So has nobody really thought of anything other than either constantly swapping the thing or doing the viggen antenna mod (which seems too invasive for an antenna job, IMO).

Nobody's found a short stationary antenna that will work in the current mount point? Is it impossible?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Viggen antenna retrofit is a surprisingly easy job that actually loooks decent and solves the issue with the retractable antenna. Takes an afternoon to do, at an easy pace with several beers and good music.

The problem with the current mount point is that it's an odd shaped hole that's difficult to fill. I'm sure you might be able to make it work with some sort of a customized kit...but the expense might not justify the marginal improvement.

EDIT: Snapping off was never the issue with my antennas on the 97s. In winter they need to be graphite lubed monthly so the telescoping segments don't stick and burn out the motor. I went through two units on my wife's car before I figured it out, and I went straight to the Viggen mod on my own...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Saab makes a solid antennae. I actually got two. I had one on my 9-3 and SPG. (which had the same stupid design) They look great and get great reception. Unlike either on the motorized ones. I'm not sure if you can still buy them anywhere, but I got both of mine on ebay.

Oh and the Viggen ant mod is totally easy. The hole os in the middle of the rear dome light, so just drill there and mount. Took me about ten minutes to drill mount and then 15 to pull the speaker grill to tuck the cord. I just left the power antennae down and unplugged it. Doesn't bother me that it is there.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've never had any issues with antennae snapping. However, I do like the looks of the Vig antenna.

The 9-5 Aero Wagon's shark-fin antenna, however, is separating from the roof. Been thinking of replacing with a Vig antenna -- Onstar is dead now anyway. Antenna would be purely non-functional and there to plug a hole, and for looks...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You can always plug the hole with the Viggen antenna hole plug. It's a little expensive at $30.75, but it does the job perfectly. The part number is 5023569.
I always thought the plugs look like a band-aid fix unless you have the Viggen spoiler to cover it. The non-functional antennae looks factory. And it still works technically... ;)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Saab makes a solid antennae. I actually got two. I had one on my 9-3 and SPG. (which had the same stupid design) They look great and get great reception. Unlike either on the motorized ones. I'm not sure if you can still buy them anywhere, but I got both of mine on ebay.

Oh and the Viggen ant mod is totally easy. The hole os in the middle of the rear dome light, so just drill there and mount. Took me about ten minutes to drill mount and then 15 to pull the speaker grill to tuck the cord. I just left the power antennae down and unplugged it. Doesn't bother me that it is there.
I have the onstar antenna. So I would probably like to replace that for the viggen mod. And from what I understand, you need to peel back the headliner for access to that. I also don't get how to non-invasively route the antenna wire from the trunk to the middle of the headliner.

As for that stationary antenna, do you remember the part number by any chance? Was it a Bolt on for your 9-3 or was there molding involved?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have the onstar antenna. So I would probably like to replace that for the viggen mod. And from what I understand, you need to peel back the headliner for access to that. I also don't get how to non-invasively route the antenna wire from the trunk to the middle of the headliner.

As for that stationary antenna, do you remember the part number by any chance? Was it a Bolt on for your 9-3 or was there molding involved?
I don't have the part number, but they are old. One is from 1978... They come with a rubber base that just bolts on from the bottom and the mast screws on. Most antennae are like that.

It's really easy to route the cable. Like I said, you can access the hole from the rear interior ceiling light. then just use a hanger to grab the wire from the middle of the headliner in the back. Route the cable behind the rubber strip around the hatch, Pop the speakers out and route the cable to the antennae plug. It's pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I have had 2 little rubber stubys from autozone and they work just peachy as replacements.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to autozone to look around and couldnt really find anything that seemed like it would fit. Do you remember how and what you installed?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah same here. for all the engineering talent on this board, I'm surprised and doubt noones found an alternative to the stupid telescoping antenna.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a standard antenna hidden above the headliner in my s-10. The reception isn't great, but it gets the more local stations good enough.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a standard antenna hidden above the headliner in my s-10. The reception isn't great, but it gets the more local stations good enough.
I've done the same before and the reception isnt great with the internal antennas. Go to crutchfield.com to get internal antennas. I put an external VW antenna, same as Viggen, on the roof and it worked great by far compared to anything Ive tried before. I'll be doing the same on the next car as well...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts