Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yep, many have including myself (though on a 9-3 vig, which is nearly the same application), and all have had nothing but positive things to say. Makes an immediate improvement to an aspect of the car you interact with constantly, so it's a great upgrade.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just had it installed in my 03 9-5 aero. Throw is shortened slightly (~20% shorter?) so don't do it expecting a big reduction in throw distances. The biggest improvement I think is the smoothness and definition of the throw actions.

·
Registered
373 Posts
worth every penny and then some, not to difficult to accomplish either , but makes shifting feel a lot sturdier and crisper on my ng 900 , Ive enjoyed all of my GS stuff they do a pretty good job over there

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not to thread jack but I've also been wondering about it, but I have a good amount of play in my shifter while in gear or in neutral would this fix that or is it that a different problem?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine rattles like crazy in low rpm its so annoying i even regret installing it, my GS torque arm is worn out after 3 years ( wtf? ) so il be replacing that and a bought a shifter bushing so hopefully it stops. It use to be very nice and stiff when i first got it but :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine rattles like crazy in low rpm its so annoying i even regret installing it, my GS torque arm is worn out after 3 years ( wtf? ) so il be replacing that and a bought a shifter bushing so hopefully it stops. It use to be very nice and stiff when i first got it but :(
I have a little bit of a buzz from the shifter sometimes when I'm on the highway. I noticed if I hold the shifter knob in my hand, the buzzing goes away. Maybe in 5th gear the rod is hitting against the short shifter mount?

I had the GS torque arm mount installed many years ago. How do you know yours is worn? Wonder if mine is...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a little bit of a buzz from the shifter sometimes when I'm on the highway. I noticed if I hold the shifter knob in my hand, the buzzing goes away. Maybe in 5th gear the rod is hitting against the short shifter mount?

I had the GS torque arm mount installed many years ago. How do you know yours is worn? Wonder if mine is...

thats the torque arm it literally shrunk and is very loose waiting on the powerflex ones to come in, it could have something to do with in insane sound my shifter makes lol..

·
Registered
102 Posts

thats the torque arm it literally shrunk and is very loose waiting on the powerflex ones to come in, it could have something to do with in insane sound my shifter makes lol..
be very careful with the powerflex i busted mine in half after 3 months, and it caused all kinds of exspenive problems. however it was the best feeling poly mount ive installed on my car.

@Escargot ive replaced every bushing on the car over the last 15 months with every power flex availible plus all oem from rear sub frame to shifter bushings and i still have play and a slight rattle when it needs to be regeased(typically every oil change). its just a terrible design from the factory

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I finally purchased and installed the GS Short Shifter over the weekend. Got the outright kit - modifying the gear box housing was pretty straight forward. I'm pretty happy so far but have a few questions for those of you who have done it..

I'm noticing what feels and sounds like rubbing in the housing in 3rd and 5th. In fact, it's difficult to get into 5th altogether. I have no problem with reverse. I'm thinking I didn't shave the opening in the gear box core large enough (the hole with the flat) or part of the lower core housing (rear section for 3rd and 5th) is interfering. Thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.