Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have any?

trying to finish off my network finally. Got my airport extreme router last week, now i need a drive to hook to it. looking for 1-2TB drive.

i currently use a western digital 500gb usb'd to my macbook for daily backup. have had good success/no isues, but have heard/seen some issues with western digital enterprise drives (my dad does network admin for a large facility and has had multiple issues personally)

anyone have any consumer western digital issues?

anyone have any cheap recommendations? (WD 2TB are like 100 bucks on amazon)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a 3TB raid 5 array of WD Caviar blacks (4 of them, TB a piece) in my ridiculous tower that used to get used 24-7 for gaming and torrenting. The setup is about 4-5 years old and has been shelved due to college for the last one and a half or so. Haven't had a single problem with any of them, and can go back and turn that tower on anytime I want and not have an issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
Well you have a macbook, so shouldn't you buy some overpriced, white and shiny 100gb drive that plugs into some proprietary connector?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
We have pretty good luck with WD consumer drives.....

We have had a bit better track record with the 1TBs over the 2TBs. What you have to realize though is that the 1TBs have been out a lot longer and the technology has had time to mature. Still though, the 2TBs work great. In the above picture the majority of those servers are made up of 2TB Caviar Blacks. 14 2TB drives per server being written to 24/7/365.

EDIT:

Oh yea we already filled that last rack and have moved on to the next.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Keep an eye out for deals on slick deals. All hard drives will fail at some point. But that is why we all take backups of our critical data right?

It's like that saying about riding a motorcycle. It's not a question of IF you will go down. It's a question of WHEN.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have pretty good luck with WD consumer drives.....

We have had a bit better track record with the 1TBs over the 2TBs. What you have to realize though is that the 1TBs have been out a lot longer and the technology has had time to mature. Still though, the 2TBs work great. In the above picture the majority of those servers are made up of 2TB Caviar Blacks. 14 2TB drives per server being written to 24/7/365.

EDIT:

Oh yea we already filled that last rack and have moved on to the next.
My dad has had about 5 ssd enterprise drives shit the bed this year ( I believe he said they were wd) he manages arrays even bugger than that, but their consumer level stuff seems to hold up. I think I'll be doing the 1tb because the cost to space ratio is pretty good, and like you said they seem to have a lower failure rate then the 2tb from what i read.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
This is only some of our severs, we've got more on the west coast. We add a new server at least once a week. We've got over a petabyte of data stored and about 1.5 petabytes of possible storage that gets added to every week.

Yea the consumer grade drives are great, and if you are doing software RAID, there is no issues with TLER.

In fact the 1TB Caviar Blacks have the same hardware as the enterprise drives. The motor shaft is anchored on both sides as opposed to just one.

My Current price on the 1TB is $84 2TB is $156.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
WyldSaabMan, if you ever want your mad server skillz to take you places (beyond Wyomissing that is), you should get in touch with Codesplice. His company is always hiring and sending folks to exciting places to babysit servers and make sure Air Force folks don't mess them up.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
WyldSaabMan, if you ever want your mad server skillz to take you places (beyond Wyomissing that is), you should get in touch with Codesplice. His company is always hiring and sending folks to exciting places to babysit servers and make sure Air Force folks don't mess them up.
Hah. I'm just the hardware guy, I can't take credit for all the software/coding that goes into making that stuff tick.

Plus I'm not to worried, if things keep going the way they are going, myself and everyone I work with should be doing ok in a few years.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
anybody have any?

trying to finish off my network finally. Got my airport extreme router last week, now i need a drive to hook to it. looking for 1-2TB drive.

i currently use a western digital 500gb usb'd to my macbook for daily backup. have had good success/no isues, but have heard/seen some issues with western digital enterprise drives (my dad does network admin for a large facility and has had multiple issues personally)

anyone have any consumer western digital issues?

anyone have any cheap recommendations? (WD 2TB are like 100 bucks on amazon)
If you're just backing up, than any USB drive will probably be fine if you're regularly backing up the backup to DVD.

If you actually use the drive for working storage for any hi-po apps (video/audio editing, etc.) then Firewire 800 is your friend. G-Raid Mini is schweet...Throughput + drive speed = happy times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts