Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here done the H&R springs for their 93SS yet?

At just over $200, I'm half tempted to do it at the same time as the sports chassis, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experiences with them yet.

One thing I recall reading elsewhere was that the dampeners should really be changed out at the same time as the springs due to the new geometry. As no other dampeners exist (within a reasonable cost), I'm seeing this as my #1 reason why not to go with aftermarket springs, and stick with the ones in the sports chassis kit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
mbodo said:
Anyone here done the H&R springs for their 93SS yet?

At just over $200, I'm half tempted to do it at the same time as the sports chassis, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experiences with them yet.

One thing I recall reading elsewhere was that the dampeners should really be changed out at the same time as the springs due to the new geometry. As no other dampeners exist (within a reasonable cost), I'm seeing this as my #1 reason why not to go with aftermarket springs, and stick with the ones in the sports chassis kit.
I can highly recommend them from the Mustang camp, so I assume their quality will be carried over to the 9-3. Those H&Rs are used by road race Mustangs with Maximum Motorsports suspension work, i.e torque arms, panhard bar, control arms, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
H&R springs are the best in my opinion. With you car not having the sport shocks. With the new spring rate of the H&R springs. You will need new shocks every 10,000 miles. So you have to think. $200.00 for shocks and $400.00 every 10,000 miles for new shocks or $500.00 for the SAAB sport suspension and be a happy camper. Did they quote you how much its going to cost to install the SAAB suspension?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finklejag said:
H&R springs are the best in my opinion. With you car not having the sport shocks. With the new spring rate of the H&R springs. You will need new shocks every 10,000 miles. So you have to think. $200.00 for shocks and $400.00 every 10,000 miles for new shocks or $500.00 for the SAAB sport suspension and be a happy camper. Did they quote you how much its going to cost to install the SAAB suspension?
Ok, got an email from Nick a few minutes ago on a semi-related subject, and he mentioned he's got bilsteins in for the H&R springs.

I intend on ordering the sports chassis regardless, as it's $415 anywhere I go. It will be about 7-10 hours to install, depending on where I go. Dealer is 7hrs @ 85/hr (ouch), but at least if they muck it up, I'm covered.

I've asked Nick about the sway bars bushings & hardware from the sports chassis kit (price), however, looking at the cost of the bilsteins (over 800 by the time the dust settles, over 1G with H&Rs), I'm thinking I'm going to wait 20,000 miles or so, when I need new dampers, to order them. I hope by that time the price would have come down.

Unfortunately, it's coming down to my wine budget and my car budget. I need to buy a cellar, and those are about as "cheap" as performance parts for the saab.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bilsteins are like 500+ for the front, and 300+ for the rears. They're listed on Nick's site under the 93SS section.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Seeing as I think the car is now setup beyond my current driving ability (didn't take much, did it..) not sure if I'll even need to go with bilsteins or H&Rs, other than purely for looks ... and if I'm going to do something purely for looks, it's going to be that maserati.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The H&R's are great. Been driving with them for a month now... handles a lot better and drops the car a good amount. The car isn't slammed, but lowered to a really good height!

·
Registered
226 Posts
thats funny i've had my H&Rs on my car for over 45k miles, shocks show no signs of leaking or wear. Car also had almost 90k miles on the original shocks when i put the springs on. Rides great 125k miles on the original shocks and struts.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
as i told chris a wile ago..
i had a dream once i was replacing my eibachs with H&R springs...
havnt done it yet..
but i duno
dreams are usualy right

1 - 12 of 12 Posts