Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, was meant to post this up 2 weeks ago but I've been dying with the flu!
I've swapped the GT28RS for a GT3076R, not so much of a straight forward job as first thought but its on there now. I had it dyno'd the next day and it made 416bhp & 403 lb/ft torque @ 1.5 Bar. I was expecting a bit more tbh but its got a small split in the intercooler hose and the base boost is around 0.6 bar and needs to be turned up to around 1 bar, so I should get a decent run next time when it hits 1.8 bar, I'm hoping for around the 450 mark but not sure if it'll do it! I was going to fit some Volvo valve springs to get the best out of the turbo as the everything's been shifted up a good 1,000 rpm... but thats on hold for a couple of months. Completely different experience to the GT28RS, but surprisingly the new one comes in nice and smooth:cool:. I was expecting a load of turbo lag then it to come in with a huge wallop but its nothing like that, just a really nice steady build up around 3-3.5k and then really gets going at 4k!! Really easy to drive normally off boost, no where near as quick as the GT28 was up to 60-70 but once your in 3rd from 60 onwards its a lot quicker. Still pulls strong at 120-130 where the GT28 would start to struggle a bit. Loads more to come with this new set up. Its got to go back to get 2 studs fixed and the base boost adjusted. Future plans are now to basically get it over 500bhp (probably wont get another car to do this, so nows my chance!) So far I'm well happy with it.:D

Dyno run:
YouTube - Saab 9000 Aero GT3076R Dyno Run.m4v

Results & Turbo fitted:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
That is a nice looking graph, looks like its running pretty good! I got some nice graphs on my 2.3 motor in my ng900 years ago, just could not keep the wast-gate closed at elevation. It was spooling about 800-1000rpm later than the gt3071wg .64ar, but did make another 125whp :)

John

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot about this...been busy with the interior...read below;)

Quick update! I had the blue forge actuator spring swapped over for a red one and its improved things...a lot!
Car now boosts to 1.9 bar and steadies itself at 1.8. On the dyno it peaked at 1.5 then settled at 1.4 with 416 bhp so I'm hoping its over 430 now. Back on the dyno next month so I'll let you know then. My 60-100 seems to have improved and feels closer to 4 secs...need to film it though as it doesn't really get going until 70. Defo not as quick below 70-75 as the GT28RS...but keep it above 3,300 rpm in 3rd and its ballistic :shock:

Other news... I've tarted up the interior with some 3D Carbon Fibre film:

I'll do a detailed write up next week, with a rough guide on what to do.....and what not to do! Just make sure you've got some patience set aside! ...pretty happy with the results :mrgreen: Car desperately needs a clean now....embarrassing:oops:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New results

Had the car dyno'd again today, a couple of small changes since the last run including a new intercooler hose (small split in the last one), swapped the blue forge spring for a red one and had another remap. Car made 450bhp & 425lb/ft so a healthy increase there of 34bhp and 19lb/ft
Really pleased with these numbers....might get the tubular manifold in a few months to push through 500. I'll post the graph up in the week. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Results and vid below, still a lot more to come from this one (If I keep it!) next job will be a tubular manifold, uprated springs & 750's:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Zach. It's the body work that's letting it down mate...and the constant stalling/cutting out is getting right on my tits! Goes like stink now though so I won't complain too much about it!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
That is a nice looking graph, looks like its running pretty good! I got some nice graphs on my 2.3 motor in my ng900 years ago, just could not keep the wast-gate closed at elevation. It was spooling about 800-1000rpm later than the gt3071wg .64ar, but did make another 125whp :)

John
Why did elevation effect the wastegate? Is this a dumb question lol?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another quick update on this!!

Had the car Dyno'd again last week but it didn't make the numbers expected this time. The dyno guy backed off just after 6k and didn't do a 2nd run so I'm not really paying much attention to the peak BHP figures as it felt a little quicker on the road! Car made 421BHP & 415 ft/lb torque...so a fair bit down from before. This was after the boost got turned up slightly and it made 1.7 Bar so still missing 0.2 bar here. Bit dissapointed with that but it was a good day out!!

Dyno Sheet:

A few days later I had the actuator turned up 2 1/2 more turns and added some thinners into the tank (around 7-8%)

:shock::shock::shock:

Made one hell of a difference!!

Got my 60-100 down from 4.3 to 3.9 seconds and 60-90 comes up in 2.7 secs!! Once its into tripple figures in 4th its off like a missile and gets scary quick :twisted:
Quick Vid (crap sound so turn the volume down!!)

I'm still not getting 1.9 bar boost though!!! Christ knows how this will be going when its up and running as it should be! Its getting a lot of IC heat soak now and I think this 40mm Abbott IC is struggling a bit with this turbo, was great at stage 4 & 5 but I think I'd best get a 76mm IC instead!

Overall..pretty happy with it! Gearbox isn't happy though! 4.45 here we come!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Couple more vids for ya! I lost the tweaks to the map here as the battery died and this is on the older map with the addition of 7% thinners:

0-60 in 5 secs & 0-100 in 10.3 secs :shocked:

70-120 in 7 secs

But the cars back now running with the tweaked map and the T7 APC mod....will get some vids up next week when I'm home. I cant feel a huge difference between the T5 & T7 set ups yet and the old map was very smooth anyway! But I've only driven it a few miles and didn't get a chance to properly boot in it 3rd & 4th! 2nd feels a bit smoother though and seems to grip a lot better :th_coolio:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Why did elevation effect the wastegate? Is this a dumb question lol?
You reach the choke line of the compressor map and turbo much faster at my elevation, so you lose max boost. The turbo that will max out at 27psi at 6000' would easily make 30psi+ at sea-level. The only time I could get the turbo above 27psi was in the winter when it was nice and cold, even if I wired the waste-gate shut, it would not go over 27psi, the 3076wg was at the choke line at my elevation.

John

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couple new vids, no massive change here but the new IC seems to be doing its job! Hopefully I'll get the hang of T5 Suite over the next couple months and start live mapping it after Christmas. Edging a bit closer to my 60-100 goal of 3.5 secs...will get there in the end. 0-60 I'm happy with...0-100 I'd like a bit closer to 9 secs but am afraid the gearbox wont take it:(

60-100 in 3.8 secs

0-60 in 5/5.1 & 0-100 in 10.1

Some serious turbo lag in 3rd @ 30/40mph until it wakes up around 65/70!! GT28RS was miles quicker here, foot down and off it goes...awesome turbo :respect:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I love the big turbo power, but I will be running my 9k with 19t or gt28rs for road racing, will leave the big turbo stuff for my drag car.

I ran my gt3076wg to 28psi and had the enem 264 cams and w/m injection for about 500whp with 9k 2.3 motor in my ng900, but I swear that 9k with better intake manifold is faster !

John

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What intake manifold was that John? The N/A one or something custom? I've given my N/A manifold to a friend for his track car. Wouldn't mind a custom one but its ££££!!

Yeah that GT28RS was a fantastic turbo, plenty quick and very responsive. Great fun. I was going to max it out with a tubular and maybe get the head done later on but this gt30 came up for a great price and was pretty much a straight swap bar one or two things.

Had to try it. I don't think I'd go back down a size now though, I like the laggy part for just cruising and the boosty part for some lunacy!!...only way is up :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts