Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible to use a GT K 1000 turbo if you tuned the ECU and got any other necessary parts?
If so, how much horse power would you gain? (if you had all necessary upgrades/parts)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Well I don't know..these are the supposed estimated a/r's for the Holset's and spool hasn't proven bad for any of us. Not sure how accurate they are, but.. :

cm2 = 0.49 A/R
8 cm2 = 0.57 A/R
9 cm2 = 0.65 A/R
10 cm2 = 0.73 A/R
11 cm2 = 0.81 A/R
12 cm2 = 0.89 A/R
14 cm2 = 0.97 A/R
15 cm2 = 1.05 A/R
16 cm2 = 1.13 A/R
17 cm2 = 1.29 A/R
19 cm2 = 1.37 A/R
20 cm2 = 1.45 A/R
21 cm2 = 1.53 A/R
22 cm2 = 1.61 A/R
holset a/r for exhaust housing

Is this GTK 1000 twin scroll? And what is your reason for wanting to use it?

EDIT

Actually, I don't know.. it's T4 flanged and it's gotta have a big ass turbine wheel so I submit to Palmer.

To answer your questions, using just about any turbo is 'possible' if you want to spend the time and money to make it work. Also, remember there isn't just a simple equation that one uses to plug in the turbo name to get what the horsepower gain would be. Depends on how much the thing flows, how efficient it is, and by when you can spool the damn thing.

It says the turbo is good for 800-1000 horsepower so if you want a rough estimate, take whatever your horsepower your car has now and subtract that from 800 or 1000 and that'll give you the range of how much horsepower you can gain.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
This probably falls under the old, If you have to ask, you can't afford it catagory.

Paul
I'd tend to agree with Paul.

However, I might have made a speculative thread like this when I wanted to get a bit more power out of my car several years ago. I ended up going with a larger OEM turbo, then ventured into relatively uncharted waters and bought a large turbo with no way to tune for it.

The problem somewhat solved itself by the time I amassed all the supporting parts needed to complete the setup.

In short, use whatever turbo you want. As long as you can find a way to bolt it up it will work to at least some degree. And you will want to be somewhat aware of what chracterisitics your turbo of choice will have on a similar sized motor.

I knew I was pretty safe with my turbo because there were people using them on VW/Audi 1.8t motors, as well as plenty of people running them on 2.3 liter Merkurs and 2.3 Mustang SVOs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for the inputs
if i have to ask, it doesn't mean what i can or can't afford it, it's more of a "i don't know enough about that category to answer it myself" question. if i wasn't able to afford it, i wouldn't be asking
so taking into account the negative input, would you not suggest this turbo? which turbo would be the best for the highest HP gain, one that has a smaller A/R?
should i be looking at Holset's rather then Turbonetics?

·
User
9,193 Posts
Holset's are great turbos and lots of people have had great success with them on here.

Turbonetics makes great turbo's as well, but a T4 flange might be a little large...

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
What year and model of car do you have? More importantly, what are YOUR goals?

Also, I have to say that 350-400whp is about the most you want if you have a NG900/9-3.

My 9-3 had 350whp, and it was borderline useless for doing anything but going in a straight line...above 40, when I could get traction.

Even then it was 50/50. Don't even get me started on the torque steer. I mean, it was fun but...

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
thanks for the inputs
if i have to ask, it doesn't mean what i can or can't afford it, it's more of a "i don't know enough about that category to answer it myself" question. if i wasn't able to afford it, i wouldn't be asking
so taking into account the negative input, would you not suggest this turbo? which turbo would be the best for the highest HP gain, one that has a smaller A/R?
Thats probably more accurate, didn't say that to be a jerk, just that 1000hp out of a 4cyl is not a cheap endeavor.

The holsets are the way to go if you are looking for big power, though the supporting mods add up to literally 3-4x the cost of the turbo, so you can get in way deep if you think its the "cheap" route.

Paul

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you're looking for decent power and dont want to spend a ton then def go with a holset. Ive seen some monsters running hx35s/super40s not to mention the holset has a decent spool up. The most you'll invest in a holset setup is the manifold and maybe an EWG. btw is anyone selling a decent manifold for the holset?? I heard Nick might but I could be full of shit...

As a daily driver I'd lean toward gt2871 or upgraded tdo4 6cm.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you want usable daily driven power you'll want to look at a td04-18t or 19t maybe a big T28 (i'm not starting this war)
Also, you need to make sure your car is solid and engine is healthy before starting any tuning project.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The Gtk1000 utlizes a 76mm inducer kompressor wheel, ie. HUGE.
The holset I ran last year in my project car was a 60mm and enough 600whp. This year it will use a 71.5mm one and would not even consider a 76mm at this point.
The required mods up to 500-600whp level are not huge, but costs of course money if you start from stock, but you can add one zero to the bill if goal is higher. Here is a small write up of one 600whp recipe
http://www.stcf.net/Tribute_2x4.pdf
This aint anymore a "nice" daily driver, thus it functions in the purpose also.

Gas milage wont suffer too much with mods, like header, turbo, dp etc etc. but once you pop in fast cams be prepared to visit the gas station more often, especially if you use the throttle.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The required mods up to 500-600whp level are not huge, but costs of course money if you start from stock, but you can add one zero to the bill if goal is higher. Here is a small write up of one 600whp recipe
http://www.stcf.net/Tribute_2x4.pdf
This aint anymore a "nice" daily driver, thus it functions in the purpose also.
Wow, you make that seem so simple...

·
Registered
151 Posts
To keep your car a daily driver, I think the farthest you can go is a GT30xx sized Garrett or an HX35 for a Holset, both with the smaller turbine housings. The purpose of the car is what should dictate the build. If you just want a big horsepower daily driver, you will always have a trade-off between big power and drivability/fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
thanks for the inputs
It's not just the cost of the turbo.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
To keep your car a daily driver, I think the farthest you can go is a GT30xx sized Garrett or an HX35 for a Holset, both with the smaller turbine housings. The purpose of the car is what should dictate the build. If you just want a big horsepower daily driver, you will always have a trade-off between big power and drivability/fuel economy.
/motor and drivetrain life.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.