Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got time this weekend to replace a lot of stuff in the front of my NG900. Installed some GS bushings for control arms and swaybar, and replaced the stanchion arm bushings as well. All I can say is that I wish I'd done this sooner. Not only did it cure the shimmy I had under braking, it makes the car feel almost like a go cart by comparison. Definitely worth the money. Then again, I was long overdue, since both ball joints, and one of the main control arm bushings were blown. Much swearing and hammering of rusted bolts went on. Wish I had saved the old pieces (they're in the trash at my parents' house), just for evidence of how bad they were. Also my MPG went back up to where it should have been and then some.

One question in all of this: will I need to re-torque any of these bolts? I can't imagine they'd work loose, given how rusted into place they were, but I had to ask.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
secret ingredient;805652One question in all of this: will I need to re-torque any of these bolts? I can't imagine they'd work loose said:
As with any new bolts, just like new rims, re torque after 500ish miles. I found a few of mine required a re-torque after some driving.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah its insane how much better the car handles now. The old pieces were so scary, I'd be hesitant to put them on the car of someone I didn't like.

Thanks Mark, I'll check them tonight when I get a few minutes to pull the wheels off. The only real new bolts were those that came with the GS bushings. Everything else was old. But it can't hurt to be sure.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Makes me even more upset that my new control arms/balljoints w/poly bushings and poly endlink bushings are sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Nice to hear I have something to look forward to.

Chris

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makes me even more upset that my new control arms/balljoints w/poly bushings and poly endlink bushings are sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Nice to hear I have something to look forward to.

Chris
That's the kit I have. Picked it up on here, works great. Just be prepared to have a few bolts fight you, since you're in New England. I didn't have air tools where I was working on mine, and that made for extra work. Also, put the arms in separately, then connect control arm to stanchion arm. The instructions I found for them were vague from GS, but the platonoff guide (google it) had good step by step instructions. Made it simple. If I were closer, I'd offer assistance. Good luck, and you'll like the difference.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I've been itching to buy the poly bushings for the front for some time now but wana do all the suspension upgrades at once when I get my koni kit(key word is "when")

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been itching to buy the poly bushings for the front for some time now but wana do all the suspension upgrades at once when I get my koni kit(key word is "when")
I see where you're coming from, but if it might be a while, do it now and just install Koni later. Its not THAT much work to do it again. But if its in the next couple months and your OEM stuff isn't as trashed as mine was at 153k, then maybe wait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts